Sardegna Favorite Tips by JennysTravels
Sardegna General: 36 reviews and 59 photos
Favorite thing: The edible fig is one of the first plants that was cultivated by humans and is known for its edible fruit throughout the Mediterranean and Middle East. August and September are prime picking months for the fig in Sardinia and we?ve come home with bucketfuls.
Fig leaves have for centuries been used to cover the genitals of nude figures in paintings and sculptures as a protector of modesty.
Figs can be eaten dried or fresh, but keep in mind that once picked the fig will not last long. It?s better to eat them straight from the tree, like we do in Sardinia. High in fiber and calcium figs are known for having a laxative effect on the body, so don?t indulge yourself too much in the juicy redness of this fruit.
Figs were a huge food source for the Romans and were once used to fatten geese for the production of foie gras. Ever wonder why your foie gras had a slight pink-ish colour to it? Well now you know.
So what are you waiting for? Tis the season for figs. Go on and eat them up, if your lucky enough to have them in your area. If you?re one of the unlucky ones to not have a fig tree near by then I suggest buying dried figs. Dried figs from Turkey are the best, in my humble opinion.
Happy Figging my friends.
Ichnusa The Beer of Champions in Sardegna. AJO!
Favorite thing: Hyknusa is the Latinized name given to Sardinia billions of light years ago. Now fast forward a few centuries and allow me to introduce you to Ichnusa.
Brewed in Assemini, Italy, located 12 km northwest of Cagliari, in southern Sardinia. Birra Ichnusa was founded in 1912 and their brewing standards remain true to tradition, even after beer giant Heineken bought-out Sardinia?s little brewery.
Ichnusa is a delightful, light golden lager, with soft aromas and a persistent froth. Alcohol level is 4.7%. It?s a perfect beer to enjoy while catching some shade in a local Sardinian bar, or sipping while sitting on your balcony overlooking the Med, and it goes great with everything. Pasta, pizza, fish, you name it. Ichnusa has remained a favorite for decades on the island of Sardinia as well as abroad. Put Ichnusa on your list while you visit the wonderful island of Hyknusa ? Sardinia. Ajo!
More Reviews (10)
JennysTravels' Related Pages
Sardegna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sardegna is Sardegna"
- "Sardinia - Something for everyone"
- "ISLAND WITH DIFFERENT FACES"
- "Sardegna's South"
- "~A Canadian Gal in Sardegna~"
- "Italy's second biggest island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sardegna
- Hotels in Sardegna
- Transportation in Sardegna
- Nightlife in Sardegna
- Restaurants in Sardegna
- Shopping in Sardegna
- Warnings and Dangers in Sardegna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sardegna
- 14 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 46 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Sardegna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sardegna
- updated a Sardegna Travel Page "~A Canadian Gal in Sardegna~"
- Posted in Travel Sardegna Forum "Re: Looking for a private local..."
- Commented on one of JennysTravels's Sardegna tips
- Uploaded a Video to Sardegna
- Uploaded a Photo to "Eating Made Easy | Oven Baked Artichokes & Potato"
- Wrote a Review Traditional Sardinian Dress in Sardegna Local Customs
Videos in SardegnaSee All Videos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Niagara Falls Intro, 48 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cayo Coco Intro, 17 reviews, 48 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 9 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sardegna Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos
- Athens Intro, 5 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 15 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Cayman Intro, 15 reviews, 14 photos
- Dominican Republic Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos