"Cluj-Napoca, a city full history" Top 5 Page for this destination Cluj-Napoca by Fam.Rauca
Cluj-Napoca Travel Guide: 262 reviews and 755 photos
This beautiful fascinating city is a most beautiful town of Romania, and a typical part of Transylvania. Cluj-Napoca is the economic centre of the region, and a very old city. The "Claustra Napoca" was the name of the ancient Roman fortress that first existed here. The archaeological excavations, in centre of the city, show the first historic confirmation that Cluj-Napoca was located exactly on the same foundation as the Roman fortress, on the ruins of the antique Roman Napoca. In memory of the very old times, it was added in 1974 the name Napoca, to the present-day city name. With its 350000 inhabitants, Cluj is today, one of the biggest towns of the country and an important cultural centre. Many celebrities, and many prominent persons, are born into this city or grown up here. Matei Corvin, the king of Hungary, was born into this city, as on of the Romanian Prince Iancu de Hunedoara. Still Today, one can visit his birthplace, in centre of the city. Avram Iancu, the Romanian hero the Romanian in the revolution of 1848 in Transylvania, studied in Cluj. The scientist Emil Racovita established in Cluj the first Speology institute of the whole world. Many museums, theatres, libraries, famous and imposing churches, a lovely botanical garden, as well the known Babes-Bolyai university, are only few from the many attractions of Cluj-Napoca. In 1872, the first university was established here.
After the World War I, the city became an important culture and administration centre and then after the World War II, it was advanced the industrialization, which changed strongly the cityscape.
Through this Transylvanian city, it streams the river the Little Somes that created a beautiful nature paradise on its shores.
The hill Cetatuia or Manastur are places with a splendid view over the city.
The many tourists, who visit this city, have the possibility to sleep into very good and comfortable hotels and to eat into fashionable restaurants.
In Cluj, one can stroll for hours and discovers again and again new places and interesting objectives.
The coincidence did, that my daughter lives in Cluj now, for a few months, and so I have the possibility, to admire this city in silence and in detail.
I think that this part of Romania has sufficiently treasures in order to attract again and again, more and more visitors there.
The whole city got a new face in the last years. The old shattered buildings were renovated, or raggedly and the... more travel advice
- See All The monument of the national heroes
- See All Newspapers and magazines
- See All Taxi, a good and favorable driving...
Fam.Rauca's Related Pages
Cluj-Napoca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cluj-Napoca, a city full history"
- "Cluj-Napoca - Transylvania's cultural centre"
- "MY FIRST EXPERIENCE WITH LEI"
- "Cluj, the old Roman Napoca."
- "Cluj Napoca"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cluj-Napoca
- Hotels in Cluj-Napoca
- Transportation in Cluj-Napoca
- Nightlife in Cluj-Napoca
- Restaurants in Cluj-Napoca
- Shopping in Cluj-Napoca
- Warnings and Dangers in Cluj-Napoca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cluj-Napoca
- 56 Reviews
- 182 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Cluj-Napoca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cluj-Napoca
Photos in Cluj-NapocaSee All Photos (182)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 157 reviews, 549 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 105 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 101 reviews, 447 photos
- Zürich Intro, 117 reviews, 427 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maldives Intro, 96 reviews, 430 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Piatra Neamt Intro, 65 reviews, 308 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Romania Intro, 73 reviews, 297 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Constanta Intro, 67 reviews, 303 photos
- Austria Intro, 61 reviews, 299 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 78 reviews, 221 photos