"Our steps follow the Colossus's giant footprints" Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) by Fam.Rauca
Rodos (City) Travel Guide: 468 reviews and 1,258 photos
The Rodos City is the capital of the Rhodes Island, and the administrative centre of the Dodecanese Islands.
It was founded in 408 BC and has a population of 42,000 inhabitants.
In 1988, the town was declared a World Heritage Monument by UNESCO.
Here, the nature is a good ambience for the historic objectives.
The City was for us a good experience, a place that will remain in our soul forever.
We have the wish that we make another travel to Rodos, and we are happy for that.
The old part of the city is an open-air-museum, with important buildings, which make a connection between the Greeks, Romans, and the Ottomans culture.
The Ancient Town is a collection of Knights houses (in the Knights Quarter), church, mosques, museums, squares, monuments, fortresses, and narrow streets, where the tourists can walk and stop thinking about the run of the time.
The Antique Wall that surrounds the Old City has a length of 4 kilometres and is a limit between the old and the new city of Rodos.
The famous gates of the old wall make the connection between the two parts of the city.
In the inside of the walls you can find the important Palace of the Grand Master, the Byzantine City Tower, the ruins of the Aphrodite’s Temple, and other wonderful remains of the ancient history.
The New City is situated on the area outsides the walls.
From this section of the town make part the Mandraki Harbour with its two famous columns at the entrance, the three Byzantine Windmills and the circular light tower of St. Nicholas.
The New Market (Nea Agora), the Garden of the Grand Master’s Palace, the Church of the Annunciation, the large Elefterias Boulevard with its Italian edifices, all this buildings, and many others, are part of the New City of Rodos.
The modern streets, the elegant restaurants or the traditional taverns, the comfortable hotels, the modern shops with lots of kinds for all the desires of the visitors create a new face to the city, and give to it a look of modernism with past influence.
- Pros:History, culture, nature and modernism, in a well-made symbiosis
- In a nutshell:This City was for us, an excellent place for relaxing, and edification
The good developed bus transport realises a perfect connection between the districts of the city, and between the... more travel advice
At the coast of the Harbour of Rhodes, there are a large number of small boats to be rent for trips on the sea. You... more travel advice
- Attention, slippery stones!
- A sunset in the old town of Rhodes
- See All Traditional restaurant in the Ancient...
- See All Other monuments in Mandraki Harbour
Fam.Rauca's Related Pages
Rodos (City) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Our steps follow the Colossus's giant footprints"
- "Rhodes Town"
- "Rhodes Town"
- "Rodos Island"
- "MEDIEVAL RODOS (RHODES)"
- "Rhodes Town - Historic Heaven"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rodos (City)
- Hotels in Rodos (City)
- Transportation in Rodos (City)
- Nightlife in Rodos (City)
- Restaurants in Rodos (City)
- Shopping in Rodos (City)
- Warnings and Dangers in Rodos (City)
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rodos (City)
- 101 Reviews
- 447 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Rodos (City)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rodos (City)
- Uploaded a Video to Rodos (City)
- Wrote a Review Driving, with this public buses into the city in Rodos (City) Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Driving, with this public buses into the city"
- updated a Rodos (City) Travel Page "Our steps follow the Colossus's giant footprints"
- Commented on one of sandysmith's Rodos (City) travel pages
Photos in Rodos (City)See All Photos (447)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 157 reviews, 549 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 105 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 101 reviews, 447 photos
- Zürich Intro, 117 reviews, 427 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Piatra Neamt Intro, 65 reviews, 308 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Romania Intro, 73 reviews, 297 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Constanta Intro, 67 reviews, 303 photos
- Austria Intro, 61 reviews, 299 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 78 reviews, 221 photos
- Kleinzell Intro, 41 reviews, 246 photos, 5 travelogues