Vienna Local Custom Tips by Fam.Rauca Top 5 Page for this destination
Vienna Local Customs: 261 reviews and 346 photos
Vienna Opera Ball
The highlight of Vienna's social calendar, and the most important event, in the Viennese culture lives, is the Opera Ball that happens every year, into the Viennese Opera House.
"Rich dance for the poor", was the motto of the first opera ball, on the 26 January 1935.
At that time, the turnover of the opera ball was donated, at the "winter help": warm clothing and fuel for the penurious folk.
Annually, on the last Thursday in the Fasching, the stage and the parquet of the state opera are changed into a big dance ground.
Then, the shiniest event of the ball season, the opera ball begins in the flower-decorated house.
This year, 2006, meant for the Viennese State Opera, a doubled jubilee, 250th birthday of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and the 50th opera ball.
Phone: 0043 1 514 44 7880
The children do handicrafts to Christmas
The inner hall of the Viennese town hall is a real workshop into the Christmas time.
The children bake cookies and then, they sell to the many visitors.
The aggregate sale is donated for the arms, orphan, or suffers children.
It is a joy and an amusement to admire, the small, hard-working hand, that work.
The children bake cookies, paint small pictures or picture frames, and make colourful candles or Christian tree jewellery.
The Viennese Christmas Market
In the Weeks before Christmas you will find numerous markets across Vienna's squares and pedestrian zed zones.
The most famous festivity is the Viennese Christmas Market, on the town hall place.
The stalls sell mainly small gifts and Christmas decorations, as well as punch and hot spiced wine to warm you on cold winter evenings.
This party lasts from end November until at the 24th December, on the Christmas Eve.
Every July and August the square in front of Vienna's Town Hall turns into a bustling hub for music-lovers.
Every evening crowds flock to watch concerts and opera and operetta performances broadcast on a huge video screen.
Just as popular are the food stalls that take you on a culinary journey across the globe - Mexican, Japanese, Greek and Austrian specialities can all be found.
01, Rathausplatz, Vienna
More Reviews (101)
- See All Stadtpark (The City Park) in Summer
- See All Kaisergruft - The emperors tombs
- See All A splendid, aristocratic hotel in Vienna
- Ice-skating in front of the Vienna's...
- See All Fischspezialitäten - Orth an der Donau
Fam.Rauca's Related Pages
Vienna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My birthplace & the place where I feel at home !"
- "VIENNA, AUSTRIA ~ MUSIC IS IN THE AIR !"
- "Rainy day in Vienna 2006, sunny in 2013"
- "VIENNA AND THE PASSION OF ART"
- "Vienna and its never-ending history"
- "Just More then Mozart, Strauss und Sacher torte"
- "Still a city of dreams"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vienna
- Hotels in Vienna
- Transportation in Vienna
- Nightlife in Vienna
- Restaurants in Vienna
- Shopping in Vienna
- Warnings and Dangers in Vienna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vienna
- 105 Reviews
- 471 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 45 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Vienna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vienna
Photos in ViennaSee All Photos (471)
Videos in ViennaSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 157 reviews, 549 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 105 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 101 reviews, 447 photos
- Zürich Intro, 117 reviews, 427 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maldives Intro, 96 reviews, 430 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Piatra Neamt Intro, 65 reviews, 308 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Romania Intro, 73 reviews, 297 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Constanta Intro, 67 reviews, 303 photos
- Austria Intro, 61 reviews, 299 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 78 reviews, 221 photos
- Schonbrunn- 293 Reviews, 549 Photos
- Hofburg- 231 Reviews, 503 Photos
- Stephansdom- 235 Reviews, 478 Photos
- Belvedere- 174 Reviews, 320 Photos
- Hundertwasser- 111 Reviews, 217 Photos
- Ringstrasse- 174 Reviews, 287 Photos
- Karlskirche - St Charles Church- 95 Reviews, 171 Photos
- Giant Ferris Wheel- 45 Reviews, 74 Photos
- Spanische Hofreitschule - Lipizzaner- 39 Reviews, 69 Photos
- Oper - Staatsoper- 97 Reviews, 166 Photos
See All Vienna Things to Do