"Frontier town" Amritsar by oisha
Amritsar Travel Guide: 271 reviews and 823 photos
I was lucky enough to have one of my aunties-in-law living here which allowed frequent visits during the 1990s. She lived on the campus of Guru Nanak Dev University and it was always a pleasure to stay in that quiet and leafy part of town.
The thing I like best about Amritsar is the feeling that time is standing still. Since Partition in 1947 it seems noone has renovated their homes or businesses for fear of losing all in a war that never happens. This makes for a wonderful atmosphere of a bygone era in decay.
Of course the highlight for any visitor is the Golden Temple. A holy place for the Sikhs, this was the battleground between Indira Gandhi's government and the Khalistan movement in 1984. A conflict that ultimately lead to the death of the Prime Minister.
This picture was taken inside the temple complex, by the side of the pool of amrit (holy water). The tiles you see have been cracked by the weight of army tanks driving over them. This action broke the hearts of even very moderate Sikhs and decades later the pain has not yet healed.
Khalsa College was opened in 1893 as a centre of learning for the Sikhs. It is now part of Guru Nanak Dev University.
Amritsar was the place in India I least expected to get my bum pinched, but, well, it happened right here folks - within... more travel advice
oisha's Related Pages
Amritsar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Amritsar: A Special Place"
- "Amritsar, One of my favorite places in India"
- "Amritsar Tank of Nectar"
- "Vibrant Amritsar"
- "AMRITSAR-Turbans galore !"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amritsar
- Hotels in Amritsar
- Transportation in Amritsar
- Nightlife in Amritsar
- Restaurants in Amritsar
- Shopping in Amritsar
- Warnings and Dangers in Amritsar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amritsar
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Amritsar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amritsar
Top 10 Pages
- Canberra Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Geneva Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- New Delhi Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos
- Amritsar Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Chandigarh Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Chicago Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Paris Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 3 reviews, 1 photo
- Sydney Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos