"Planned city ... just like home!" Chandigarh by oisha
Chandigarh Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 241 photos
My hubby was born in this town and I have visited around a dozen times now. Aside from its tourist attractions (the rock garden and Pinjore Gardens are my favourites) it intrigues the visitor with its orderliness and its unusual architecture.
Like my hometown, Chandigarh is a government town, planned and built in the modern era. It is laid out in neighbourhoods or "sectors", each bounded by arterial roads and each containing open spaces and a local shopping area. Industry is cordoned off from the residential areas. In the original plan for the city, Mayer had even proposed curving roads like we have here in Canberra, but after Mayer withdrew from the project, Le Corbusier substituted the grid shape we see today.
Even though the city has grown phenomenally in the decade I have known it, you still get the feeling you can really breathe in Chandigarh.
My father discovered that Chandigarh is home to a plethora of public buildings designed by the Swiss architect Le Corbusier. He made a particular effort to visit some of these, much to the surprise of the officials working in them. Very few foreign tourists attend the law courts to admire the buildings. For more information on Le Corbusier's work in Chandigarh have a look at this website: agram.saariste.nl
The "downtown" area is Sector 17. It is a huge open area of pedestrian shopping cleverly designed to never feel crowded. My friend's brother's shop is called Gulati's. Buy your next salwar kameez from there!
Pinjore Gardens are laid out in Moghul style on seven levels on a hillside, surrounded by an ancient fortress-like wall.... more travel advice
oisha's Related Pages
Chandigarh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chandigarh - India's only planned modern city"
- "A lot more than meets the eye"
- "Chandigarh, India"
- "chandigarh-The planned city"
- "Eccentric City with an Austere Facade!!"
- "Planned city ... just like home!"
- "Le Corbusier's vision"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chandigarh
- Hotels in Chandigarh
- Transportation in Chandigarh
- Restaurants in Chandigarh
- Shopping in Chandigarh
- Warnings and Dangers in Chandigarh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chandigarh
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Chandigarh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chandigarh
Top 10 Pages
- Canberra Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Geneva Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- New Delhi Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos
- Amritsar Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Chandigarh Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Chicago Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Paris Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 3 reviews, 1 photo
- Sydney Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos