"Being a Mainland Haole in Honolulu" Maikeli's Profile

Life In Honolulu

Aloha!
I am a Bostonian, living in Hawaii, and I am writing this to try to inform anyone wishing to move to this state.
A great deal of what I have to say is negative, and many people will doubtless disagree. Take what I have to say for what it is: One lower-middle class, Irish American's experiences and opinions of what it is like to live in the City and County of Honolulu.
I moved here because I was accepted to the University of Hawaii in the Graduate Division. I also wanted to live in the kind of climate that this state can offer.
It cost approximately $4,500 to ship the contents of a 2 bedroom apartment and a Volkswagen from Boston to Honolulu (1999 prices).
I had no job, but got one in my field pretty fast. It paid ten plus thosand dollars less than what I was making in the Boston area, but it was enough to make ends meet, with little left for savings.
The weather was and is perfect most of the time. Nothing to complain about there, ever.
Co-workers leave a great deal to be desired, not only in my experience, but in the collective experience of virtually everyone I have known in Honolulu.
The office mentality is very draconian, and management-centered. The upper-level jobs are populated by local people, primarily of mixed Asian descent. Also there are quite a few mainland whites as well.
Whatever the ethnic background, the result is the same. Unprofessional behavior to an obscene degree. It is amazing that these businesses have not all gone bankrupt. Lying, cheating, stealing, rubber-stamping, useless and large amounts of draconian-inspired paperwork - these are all commonplace and ubiquitous here.
--------More griping about Hawaii to come...

• Intro Written Apr 15, 2005

• pamstravels's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2005 at 8:28 AM

So sorry you have having such a miserable time in Hawaii. When I lived there I had a very similar experience. But that was in the '80's. I go back to visit frequently and that is enough for me!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Maikeli's Profile Photo

Maikeli

“Don't expect anything”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Real Name
Mike
Location
Pearl City, Hawaii (State of)
Member Since