North Manitou Island Things to Do Tips by neurochic
North Manitou Island Things to Do: 5 reviews and 13 photos
Spend sometime on the beach while you are at North Manitou. Its a good place to watch the sunset, play cards, take a stroll with your mate. As you look across vast Lake MI you truly feel a world apart which you know is sometimes quite nice.
In a Big Field you will find one of the only remaining buildings still standing on North Manitou Island, the Swenson Barn. Many years ago North Manitou island was an actual functioning island with people who actually lived on the island. This is a nice area to take a break and have lunch because there aren't many insects and you can just lay lazily in the tall grass while exploring the old building.
Ok there is no TV, no video games, no work, no stress so take time out to look at the beautiful scenery around you as you hike North Manitou. Its not often in most of our hectic lives where we really pay attention to how beautiful butterflies really are or how perfect a flower a daisy is. So take the time out to stop and literally smell the roses.
Sunset on Lake Michigan
Watching the sunset over Lake Michigan is worth whatever torment you went through all day hiking. The brilliant shades of orange you will see are what postcards are made for. Be careful though, once the sun goes down the mosquitos attack! So once the sun leaves, that means make it quick off of the beach.
As soon as you arrive on North Manitou, you will convene at the Ranger Station. Here you will check in and let the Ranger know where you plan on camping during your stay at North Manitou. Make sure that after you check in that you stay and listen to his informative talk about areas where you are not allowed to camp, certain conditions on the island, time to pick up the ferry to get off the island, emergent situations, etc. If you don't stay, you are on your own!
More Reviews (6)
neurochic's Related Pages
North Manitou Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Backpacker's Paradise in Northern Michigan"
- Create a North Manitou Island Travel Page
- Things to Do in North Manitou Island
- Hotels in North Manitou Island
- Transportation in North Manitou Island
- Nightlife in North Manitou Island
- Warnings and Dangers in North Manitou Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- North Carolina
- Winona Hotels
- Port Orchard
- `Afula Hotels
- Wyszkow Hotels
- County Louth Hotels
Badges & Stats in North Manitou Island
- 11 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to North Manitou Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in North Manitou Island
Photos in North Manitou IslandSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 31 reviews, 49 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 31 reviews, 46 photos
- Quy Nhon Intro, 15 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Angkor Wat Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- San Diego Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos
- Arequipa Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos
- North Manitou Island Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos
- Ayuthaya Intro, 7 reviews, 20 photos
- Ko Samui Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Pisac Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos
No friends yet.