"Yahooooo! I'm Turning Into A Rural Person!" Irina's Profile

Believe it or not...

In September 2006 I've ended a 10 yers career in advertising copywriting. I've been a Senior Copywriter for Lowe and JWT for the past 7 years. Advertising is so "aspirational" these days. There are zillions of youngsters who dream to be a Creative in a multinational advertising company. It's considered to be "cool" and well-paid. Yaeh, yeah...

My husband Sorin also had a career in advertising - he used to be a Media Director. That's even cooler, because they are invited to all the parties that a media support organizes, be it Playboy, National Geographic Channel, MTV Romania - you name it. They also receive lots of gifts, because the hosts always offer giveaways. I used to claim that I've done a good marriage, because Soring brought home more pens, caps, T-shirts and bags than any other person's husband I know. Why are these companies always think that a pen is a nice gift year after year after year?
Now he's not bringing me pens, caps and bags anymore, but I have lots of other reasons to claim that I've done a good marriage.

Part of these last years we saved money to buy a little piece of land on the countryside. We found a super-offer and bought 5400 sqm land on a hill, close to Ploiesti. Then we came here camping almost every weekend, during 2 summers. Then we have built a very little house. The very little house has gas heat, electricity, water plumbing, shower cabin, WC from the beginning. We always liked the landscape and the yard, but when the housewas ready, new thoughts come to our minds. What if we could live here forever?
And make a living of what? Vegetables? I don't think so.

Agriculture - yes, for fun, not for a living!

Last year we had more results with the vegetables. Also because we have planted more. We had tomatoes, egg-plants, green peppers and beans. It was quite an effort to take care of them because we were both full-time employees in Bucharest aand came here only for the week-ends, usually with friends or family, to have fun, to make a barbecue and so on. Not only taking care of the plants, but also doing something with the vegetables was difficult. What would you do Sunday evening, coming home with 7-8 kilos of tomatoes? Plus some dozens of egg-plants?

This year I've decided to do less agriculture. I've only planted some beans (see pic), some persil, carrots... Mum came "with a surprise" - 10 tomato plants that she claimed to take care of. Now, in November, I can count the tomatoes we've eaten from these plants. They were 10 at max. And guess who took care of these damn plants.

So,agriculture is not an option. I try to learn how to do it - I read a dozen books in a permanent loop becuase it seems so difficult to understand and remember - and I want to have a nice and rich vegetable garden. But I agree to do it for fun, not for a business. It's not so profitable anyway, so why should I become an expert NOW?

So, what are we good at?

What can we do at Seciu? (This is the name of the village, or whatever it is - some pretend it's a neighbourhood of the town Boldesti-Scaieni, but have you ever seen a town that includes a forrest and a neighbourhood that's 5 km uphill from the town?).
We only had one idea: Internet!
At the end of 2004, only a few months after the small house was built, Sorin started a small business on the Internet.
At the end of 2005, Sorin quit the Media Director position to dedicate all his efforts to the small Internet business. I remained the one who insured a secure income to the family and business. I also remained the only one coming home from work with frustrations - clients who don't approve my brilliant ideas, no opportunity to participate in creative contests and so on.

How we realized we can make it this year

We had a small party in the garden for my birtday. It was The European Soccer Championship Final and the men wanted to watch it. During the breaks, they asked Sorin how the internet business goes. They went so far in details, that the next days Sorin felt the need to make a business review and a business plan. The results were amazingly good. We realized that if we could sell the apartment in Bucharest and invest a bit in the business, we could cut the costs and actually live at Seciu!
In August, I've resigned from Scala JWT Bucharest. Few people believed that I'm not going to McCann, Ogilvy or another company and that I really intend to quit being a copywriter, a Bucharestian and a block-of-houses inhabitant. Even now, after 2 months, nobody seems to understantwhy we have quit the capital, the comfort, the nightlife (?), the social life (?) and a well-paid position in a multinational.
Let me show you why.

Our company has a 5400 sqm headquarter

There are wild rabbits passing by our garden, only some meters away from our windows. And pheasants, hedgehogs and more.

There is freedom

And there's a dog watching us. It's Cheekyboy, who knows hot to chase the goats and sheeps out of our garden. It can't do much against the horses and cows, but it's trying hard.
We don't have a complete fence. A proper one all around the property would cost a fortune. The blackberries bushes would do, we thought. No, it's not enough to stop the herds and the animals of the village (or neighborhood, if you prefer).

Come to the land where flavor is...

This picture was taken by Sorin, while he and Cheekyboy were chasing a herd out of our land.

• Intro Updated Nov 5, 2006

• sdq's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2012 at 10:51 AM

!!!!! Happy Birthday !!!!!

• keny's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2007 at 7:59 AM

Hi Irina. Happy býrthday to you:-)

• ghibli88's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2007 at 11:47 AM

A warm Happy birthday to you Irina,best wishes from hot and sunny Italy

• takla73's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2007 at 11:43 PM

Happy birthday IRINA and have a nice day Greeting from Alexandria Egypt TAKLA

• vpeter's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2007 at 5:34 PM

Hi Irina, happy birthday and have a nice party. Wish you lots of safe and happy travels. Greetings from the Netherlands.

• amirkh's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2007 at 9:47 AM

Nice Homepage ...Greetings from Israel

• zazatann's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2006 at 6:26 AM

Just wanna say "Happy Birthday" to you. Smile.....Greeting from Bangkok, Teya

• mary2u99's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2006 at 7:49 PM

Hey there ..Have a wonderful day and Happy Birthday to you.:-)

• Skipka's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2004 at 2:59 AM

Irina, happy birthday to u ! Really like your comment about poetry and arts :))) but never give up ...just try to do something that keeps you alive :)

• 7mihaic's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2004 at 2:17 AM

LA MULTI ANI Irina, sa ai o zi minunata si sa afli cat mai repede cine esti si mai ales unde mergi.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Irina's Profile Photo

Irina

“Social progress tastes much better with sugar. (Eugen Ionescu)”

Ranked Member