"The world beyond SE Wisconsin" rdney99's Profile

There's always Rodney waiting

I'm from Wisconsin,- America's Dairyland.... I live in a small city called Oconomowoc, ( an old Native American name) just west of Milwaukee. I have traveled a lot, but have never lived outside of this state. It is a pleasant place to live, but there's so much more out there to see in the country and rest of the world... .I am fortunate to have travelled overseas eleven times now. It''s always good to come home too and plan the next trip. Besides travelling I love hiking, fishing, reading, sports, listening to classic rock and animals. I am divorced and my main companion is my 11 year old miniature poodle named Rodney. I hate to leave him home when I travel, but he's in good hands and it's nice to know he's waiting for me to come home...back on VT after a few years hiatus- don't know why I pulled off, it's a wonderful site with great people and can be educational-
I missed out on a lot. Got too addicted to Facebook maybe, whih isn't good. Since then I've been to South America twice, Japan, Italy, Greece and Turkey. Now I'm going to stay in N. America for the next five years or so to save some $ with our awful economy, but I have some great memories of my big trips and more planned in the future.

Croatia and the Adriatic region

The best trip I have taken in my life was an 18 day tour of Austria, Croatia and Hungary last June. It also included seeing Slovakia, Slovenia, Montenegro, and Bosnia. There is nowhere as beautiful and unique as Dubrovnik in my opinion.
I am Croatian on my mother's side, and Hungarian on my father's so it was kind of a roots tracing trip. It is the standard for every tour I take in the future to be measured against...it was just so interesting and enjoyable. This picture was taken on the walls of Dubrovnik.

British in another life

My favorite and adopted country, however, is England. It just fascinates me endlessly. I have been there four times and always want to go back.
I have a Union Jack on my wall and drink English tea with milk every day. Love the accents and I think the people are friendly even if a bit reserved. Here is a picture of Hadrian's Wall near Carlisle taken on a recent tour of Scotland. I would live to go on a hiking trip here, maybe along the whole wall. God Save The Queen !

Bosnia

Interesting country, and very different. Touring Bosnia may be like touring a country in the Middle East- and many homes are still in ruin from the war ten years ago. It's a very scenic country however- with beautiful mountains and lakes. Here is the river which flows through Mostar, where locals dive off the bridge for a little money, it;'s a good show....

I want this job !!

The Danish royal guards in Copenhagen at Amaeliborg Palace. They never speak or change expression, just walk back and forth. I can do that !!

About My Home State

From Compass Guides- Wisconsin Edition

" Wisconsin is a state of great natural beauty, with thousands of lakes, rushing rivers, and shorelines bordering Lake Michigan to the east and Lake Superior to the north. It's industrial cities, including Milwaukee, Sheboygan, and Oshkosh, have produced some of America's most famous brand products. Madison, the state capital and home to the University of Wisconsin is known for its' beauty and intellectual life. "
It's also known to be a good state to raise a family, or in my case take care of a dog and cat, most areas are safe, and many communities are close -knit. There are many positives to living here, although two negative facts of life for many are long cold winters and very high taxes.

My Favorite Wisconsin Hiking/Wilderness areas:
1) The Ice Age Natl. Scenic Trail 2) Devil's Lake State Park 3) Newport State Park and Whitefish Bay Dunes State Parks- Door County 4) Dodge County Ledge Park 5) Black River State Forest 6) Wildcat Mountain State Park and the Coulee Region 7) Nicolet Natl. Forest 8) Chaquemegon Natl.
Forest 9) Parfrey's Glen Trail 10) Kettle Moraine State Forest( practically in my backyard)

My favorite classic rock bands

Some non-travel related info, I've noticed some members list their favorite bands/singers/ performers on here: well, here's my top twenty. Nothing outside of classic rock fits into the list.Typical as I grew up in the late 70's and 80's. I need to get some incense and tie-dyed shirts.. alot of this music will be played 100 years from now.

1) The Beatles
18) Jimi Hendrix Experience
19) The Eagles
20) Pink Floyd

Favorite NHL Teams

I recently became a big fan of NHL hockey. Seems to be more exciting than the NBA these days- more of a real sport compared to tasteless entertainment....
My 10 favorite teams - to share with any hockey fans viewing this page:

7) Nashville Predators
8) Vancouver Canucks
9) Calgary Flames
10) Edmonton Oilers

The rest all irritate me and I cheer against them...

• Intro Updated Aug 13, 2011

Dec 2, 2013 at 3:37 AM

A day late, Tony, but I hope you had a wonderful birthday!

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

Dec 3, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Missed your birthday. Hope it was great!

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Yes , been to Connecticut and Rhode Island. Last time we drove through CT we got stuck in a blizzard, couldn't even see the road. I have a page on Mystic, that was one of my favorite museums ever. I don't have VT pages on all the places we've been.

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:04 AM

Thanks for stopping by Tony. Yeah, New Yorkers are a friendly bunch. Blunt, but friendly! : ]

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2009 at 6:32 AM

Yehey, Phoenix Coyotes on your Top 10! Very nice entertaining homepage...good job! Hello to Rodney....Cheers from Arizona, JumpingNorman :)

• Kisses&Co's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Happy Birthday, Tony!!! :-) Hope you & your cutie doggie are all doing well. Hugs!

• irishgalmtl's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Well hi there my friend long time no hear and just in time for your birthday this year...Donna :)

• kopwint's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2008 at 9:38 PM

happy and free in your great days and wish you get all what you want in your birthday, happy and free is special to you, BURMA

• WorldMeet2008's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Your next trip? Make it really unique! It's not too late to attend WM08 - Jerusalem, Tel Aviv & Dead- Sea on 25- 28th Sept (+Petra 29-30th). We want to double the num of attendees to 100! Click to learn where, when, what, how, how much! Avi [FruitLover].

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
rdney99's Profile Photo

rdney99

“"Let me take you far away, you'd like, a holiday"”

Ranked Member