"A Traveller on the Journey through Life" UrbanSpaceman's Profile

In The Beginning......

I did not always look like this..........at one time,I was young !!!!

Seriously though my fellow travellers, thank you for being kind enough to look at this homepage, which will develop slowly as I am not such a great computer technician.Much of my travelling was done before the advent of digital cameras and as I don't have a scanner as yet, it will take me some time to download pictures from some of our travels - but this will happen in time.

Though all journeys to me are exciting, none is more interesting than the individual journey which each of us makes through life - a totally unique set of experiences for every individual and one which never fails to fascinate me. I ask myself how I have ended up in 2005 as a 52 year old accountant,working in London in the tourist industry,living in Crowthorne, Berkshire with my lovely wife Shelagh (we have been very happily married this year for 26 years) and ruled by three tubby tabby cats called Ruth, Simba and Aslan ! I guess when I was 18, I had no idea what the future held - but I could certainly never have foreseen the way in which my life has unfolded.

I was born in London in the austere post war period of the early 1950's and from the time when I was a young boy,I yearned to travel.Maps and travel books always fascinated me and I would spend hours looking at the globe or reading about foreign countries and trying to learn all their capitals.

I was always especially interested in Central and Eastern Europe because in the 1960's,although these were large countries which appeared on the map,I had never met anyone who had ever been there.This sense of mystery really intrigued me and remains to this day ! Whilst as far as I am aware, I am pure Anglo-Saxon (OK then - not exactly pure !), I am convinced that there is some Slav deep in my soul as I feel such an affinity for these countries and their languages and cultures.

As far as hobbies and activities are concerned, travel and foreign languages are my main loves, but in addition, I am very keen on history, music (most kinds except rock and roll - love Gershwin ), horse racing, sports (especially tennis and also used to run the marathon), as well as reading and the theatre. Shelagh and I are members of the British Czech and Slovak Association,Friends of Shakespeare's Globe and The National Trust for Scotland. Pet hates ? Politicians, bureaucracy, the cult of the "celebrity", awards ceremonies such as the Oscars (ugh !), grossly overpaid professional "sportsmen" and the institution of monarchy !

However, enough of me.......I am sure you would much rather read about some interesting parts of the world,so I hope I can steer you in the direction of some of the places which we have enjoyed but which may be new to some of you.

Our Travels - A Brief Summary

Since I married Shelagh in 1979, we have been very lucky to have travelled widely - and whilst I do not want to bore everyone with every single place I have seen (some of which I am still trying desperately to forget !!!), the ones that stand out in my memory are :

Australia - a dream come true when we went there in 2001.I would love us to retire there eventually.

Bermuda - stunningly beautiful though expensive - were there in 2004 for Shelagh's 50th birthday and also to renew our wedding vows on her birthday.

Bruges - such a charming medieval Belgian city - a real gem in Flanders and a haunting memory of a bygone age - had a wonderful 50th birthday celebration there in 2003.

Prague - in my opinion, the loveliest city in all of Europe and a place which should be on everyone's itinerary to visit !

Czech Republic - a beautiful country of forests,rolling hills, incredible castles and friendly people, who speak a wonderfully complicated language which I have been trying for 7 years to master (more of that later !)

Ireland - a green and gentle country with such friendly people,beautiful scenery and an atmosphere so relaxing that I defy anyone to go there and not to enjoy it.

Delft - a charming and delightful Dutch city, the home of the incredibly gifted painter Johannes Vermeer and some fine Dutch architecture which is so pleasing to my eyes, as well as some of the friendliest people you could meet.

San Francisco - perhaps the most European of all the American cities and such a thrill for us when we first visited it in 1991.This city left such a lasting impression on us both !

Paris - preferable to London in my opinion and so chic.Paris has something which, deep down, I don't think London will ever have - and that is "style" ! Much as I am fond of my home city, I do prefer the French capital.

Venice - such beauty and I understand very much why people fall in love with this city - even though the only thing that fell when Shelagh and I visited it in 2003 was an enormous amount of rain for 4 days solid !!!

Seville - a sparkling and exuberant city under the Andalucian sun. Eating tapas under the orange trees there was pure heaven !

Morocco - a fascinating combination of east and west which we visited twice in the early 1980's and with stunning Arabian architecture which really blew me away !

• Intro Updated Jul 17, 2005

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
UrbanSpaceman's Profile Photo

UrbanSpaceman

“Enjoy the whole experience - it is an education in life !”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.