"Arlington, MA" Arlington by KarenandCory

Arlington Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 92 photos

My Home Town

Welcome to my ARLINGTON MA Page.
The continuing quest to find something other than pizza, chinese food, hair/nail salons continues.....

The Town of Arlington was originally settled in 1635 as a village under the name Menotomy. In 1807, the Town was set off from Cambridge and incorporated as West Cambridge. In 1867, the name was changed to Arlington in honor of the heroes buried at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Va
Arlington played a prominent role on the first day of the American Revolution - April 19, 1775. Minutemen from surrounding towns converged on Arlington (Menotomy) to ambush the British on their retreat from Concord and Lexington. More than one-half of that fateful day's casualties were suffered in the short distance from Foot of the Rocks (at the intersection of Lowell Street and Massachusetts Avenue) to Spy Pond.
Arlington remains proud of its history, even as it has grown into a thoroughly modern community. The birthplace of Uncle Sam, the location of the first public children's library, and the site of most of the fighting when the British marched through it returning from the Old North Bridge at the start of the Revolutionary War, Arlington has preserved many of its historical buildings and even recreated its town common. Once a thriving agriculture and mill town, Arlington's excellent access to metropolitan Boston has made it a very desirable place to live.

I love that it's close to Boston without being too city. Great restaurants but locals often complain that other than that there isn't much to do. In my younger years I hated living here. Now I've grown a better appreciation for it.
Although, still enjoy making fun of my home town.
I promise you'll laugh if you go here:

• Pros:good food
  • Cons:snobby uptight people
  • In a nutshell:Home
  • Intro Updated Sep 19, 2005

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2006 at 5:20 AM

Haaha. You feel at peace in that cemetery...I bet the residents feel that way too.

• Small_World's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2006 at 4:49 AM

I love your pages and your traveling philosophy about finding something interesting everywhere you go--and I love doing what the locals do. Very nice pages! Thanks for visiting mine.

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2006 at 1:04 PM

Love your Ghetto apartment Travelogue. Too funny!

• Herkbert's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2006 at 8:55 AM

Karen - the Friendly's tale was hysterical. Thanks for providing a good laugh! Tom

• Karolina01's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2006 at 7:23 PM

I think that your apartment is cool and rimands me of Larry's. Greetings.

• dejavu2gb's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2006 at 8:30 AM

Your hometown seems so quaint and peaceful... with a stack of REALLY nice looking restaurants...sure got my mouth watering...

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2005 at 3:02 PM

Enjoyed reading about your hometown Karen, thanks for the tour, nice page (~_~)

• Sep 11, 2005 at 11:35 PM

Very informative stuff here. Thanks for sharing your hometown with us and welcome to VT Karen and Cory!

• Birsen's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2005 at 8:35 AM

HI Karen! You prepared very nice page! I really liked it. Greetings from Gran Canaria:))

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2005 at 5:03 AM

Hi Karen. Thanks for checking out my Massachusetts page the other day, and welcome to VT. Hope to read more about your travels soon.

KarenandCory Used To Live Here!

KarenandCory

“There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures that Chuck Norris has allowed to live.”

Badges & Stats in Arlington

Have you been to Arlington?

Latest Activity in Arlington