"Preparing for the long-awaited safaris!!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Arusha by Durfun

Arusha Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 110 photos

Arriving from Nairobi

In the morning at 0700 hours we left Nairobi for Arusha, which is situated at the foothills of the mountains.

The tour operator had already been informed of our arrival, so he was there to receive us at the coach station.

Booking the tours...

There are so many options & reserves to choose from.

I was keen on climbing Kilimanjaro, but my cuz wasn't.. so we settled for just doing the safaris through 4 major parks. We chose Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater, Maasai Mara & Serengeti.

We decided on Serena group resorts (owned by Aga Khan) for each park, ending up at Mount Meru hotel in Arusha for 1 night. The plan was to then see Mt Kili on our way to the airport.

Loading our supplies in the 4x4..

For a while we chilled out at a restaurant to have Ugaali & Suku ma weeki, staples of the locals. This stuff certainly is filling!!

We tanked up on our packed lunches & snacks, lots of water, drinks, etc before heading off to Lake Manyara.

• Pros:Busy city centre, ideal for all supplies
  • Cons:A bit crowded with various tour agents
  • In a nutshell:The place from where all safaris take off!
  • Last visit to Arusha: Jul 2002
  • Intro Written Apr 26, 2006

• MikeySoft's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Thanks, my ppp is in Yunnan Province China. Wow, you are in top 5 with 2 tips. I rented a car when in Arusha. We were stupid tourist, got charged by an elephant. Later told this was a warning to frighten us, it worked! I hope my Amritsar page makes top 5.

• traveloturc's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2010 at 6:57 AM

hi Marabuzo thanks a lot for your comments on Arusha ...

• iaint's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2010 at 2:42 PM

planning to climb Mt K in 2012

Durfun

“Cherish memories of fab places, fab people, and the occasional 'angel' you run into...”

Badges & Stats in Arusha