"middle of nowhere" Erzurum Ili by erendilight
Erzurum Ili Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 154 photos
Erzurum is the largest province in Eastern Anatolia and is located on a high plateau (1950 m). The province has always been a transportation junction and is now the transfer point for air, rail or bus connections for travelers coming to Eastern Turkey.
The history of the city extends back to 4000 BC and it has seen many civilizations in Anatolia. One of the most important remains from this periods is the well preserved Byzantine city walls. Most of the historical finds are kept in the collections of the Archaeological Museum, which is a part of the Erzurum Museum.
Erzurum was captured and ruled by many different nations like Hurries, Urartus, Cimmerians, Scyths, Medes, Persians, Parthes, Romans, Byzantians, Sassanides, Arabs, Seljuks, Mongols, Ilhanides, Safawides, and of course Turks. The Ottomans captured the city only in 1514 and ruled until the foundation of the modern Turkish Republic by Mustafa Kemal Atatürk in 1923. Some great historical figures like Alexander the Great and Tamerlane can be added to the list of rulers.
The modern city, with wide tree lined boulevards and university buildings, is intertwined with the historical district. The Seljuk buildings in the town are remarkable. The Ulu (Grand) Mosque built in 1179 is interesting, with its many columns and seven wide naves. Next door to Ulu Mosque is the Cifte Minareli (Double Minaret) Medrese (theological school), which is the most famous feature of the city. It is a perfect example of Seljuk architecture, the carved portal being particularly fine.
- Pros:nature, outdoor facilities, rafting, sheljuk history
- Cons:conservative pple, street sellers
A warm place to stay in Erzurum Palandoken... Indoor Pool, Health Club, Sauna, Telephone, Satellite System,... more travel advice
erendilight's Related Pages
Erzurum Ili Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It's one of the most interesting part ot Turkey!"
- "middle of nowhere"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Erzurum Ili
- Hotels in Erzurum Ili
- Transportation in Erzurum Ili
- Restaurants in Erzurum Ili
- Warnings and Dangers in Erzurum Ili
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Erzurum Ili
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Erzurum Ili?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Erzurum Ili
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bodrum Intro, 73 reviews, 88 photos, 4 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyrenia District Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Akyaka Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- London Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos
- Nicosia Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Olympos Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Regensburg Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Gumushane Ili Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos