"IMAGE OVERDOSE" Top 5 Page for this destination Kyrenia District by erendilight
Kyrenia District Travel Guide: 228 reviews and 602 photos
Situated on the north coast of Cyprus, Kyrenia, with its 6,000 year long history, unique remains of countless civilisations, miles of natural beaches, calm sea, and mild climate is an idyllic Mediterranean town.
Bounded to the north by the sea and to the south by the greenery of the Besparmak (Fivefinger) Mountain range, it offers the most magnificent scenery on the island...
Its charming and tiny harbour, full of yachts and fishing boats, is framed by the colossal hulk of its Crusader castle.
Kyrenia is an easy place to while away any time of the day... exploring shops, markets and local cafés in late morning, strolling in the narrow cobbled alleys behind the harbour in the afternoon, or stepping out for a brisk walk along the promenade and sea wall in the evening.
Overlooking the entrance to the harbour is Kyrenia Castle. Dating from the time of the Byzantines, its massive defences surround a complex mixture of building styles from centuries before and it is likely that there was a Roman fort here originally. Subsequently enlarged and strengthened by the Lusignans and then the Venetians, the castle is now home to many historical artifacts and is the current resting-place of the world's oldest shipwreck..
The beautiful harbour is dominated by a majestic castle which houses a museum containing the remains of an ancient ship which was salvaged from the sea. There are several mosques and churches to see in the town, and the Museum of Folk Arts, and the Museum of Decorative Arts and Painting are well worth a visit.
Forsa, 40 years old sand ship is also a must to see... and to meet Adnan Captain and his crew:)
you will get lost in narrow Kyrenia Streets and find yourself in a different span of time and energy... the cosmic wave is different in Kyrenia Streets..
- Pros:smiling&very relaxed people, relaxing scenery, beaches, night life, gorgeous mornings
- Cons:humidity, hot weather
very crowded, very noisy... a nice place for pop and techno lovers... good for saturday night if you don't have... more travel advice
erendilight's Related Pages
Kyrenia District Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Girne (Kyrenia)"
- "Christmas Break in Kyrenia"
- "Kyrenia - the city and beyond..."
- "IMAGE OVERDOSE"
- "North Cyprus in late October"
- "Wonderful Kyrenia"
- "Girne, North Cyprus"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kyrenia District
- Hotels in Kyrenia District
- Transportation in Kyrenia District
- Nightlife in Kyrenia District
- Restaurants in Kyrenia District
- Shopping in Kyrenia District
- Warnings and Dangers in Kyrenia District
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kyrenia District
- 11 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Kyrenia District?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kyrenia District
Photos in Kyrenia DistrictSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bodrum Intro, 73 reviews, 88 photos, 4 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyrenia District Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Akyaka Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- London Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos
- Nicosia Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Olympos Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Regensburg Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Gumushane Ili Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos