"LAS CRUCES, NEW MEXICO, USA" Top 5 Page for this destination Las Cruces by e7forever
Las Cruces Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 202 photos
Population (Las Cruces Area): approx 90,000
Location: 225 miles south of Albuquerque, NM, 275 miles east of Tucson, AZ and 42 miles west of El Paso, TX.
Weather: 350 days of sunshine a year. Summer month highs of high 90's. Fall highs in the 70's and 80's. Winter highs in the 50's and 60's.
Awards and Recognition:
- One of the Best Place to Retire - Money Magazine, November 2005 & June 2002
- Top 50 Motorcoach Destinations in the United States - National Bus Association, 2004 & 2005
- Best Small Metro Area for Business and Careers - Forbes/Milken Institute, 2002, 2003 & 2004
- Top Destination - Facilities & Desinations Magazine, 2001, 2002 & 2004
- Top 10 Cities for Hispanics to Live - Hispanic Magazine, 2002 & 2003
- Best Place to Live - Family Digest, 2002
- One of America's Top 100 Retirement Towns - Where to Retire Magazine, Fall 2001
There are several stories as to how Las Cruces got its name. Here are a few:
One story says that sometime around the 18th century, a bishop, a priest, a captain, a mexican army colonel, four trappers and four choir boys were attacked near the Rio Grande and only one of them survived. Crosses were set up in thier honor, and the name, El Pueblo del Jardin de Las Cruces (the city of the garden of crosses) evolved.
Another story says that a group of 40 travelers from Taos, NM were killed as they reached Las Cruces.
However some people feel the name is just the Spanish translation for crossing or crossroads.
These buildings were built around 1910 by a medical doctor named Dr. Nathan Boyd. Dr. Boyd built these buildings for his... more travel advice
Dripping Springs is located In the Organ Mts. 15 mi E of Las Cruces. It is named for springs that trickle from the... more travel advice
e7forever's Related Pages
Las Cruces Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Las Cruces Page"
- "LAS CRUCES, NEW MEXICO, USA"
- "Las Cruces"
- "Jumping Around Las Cruces!"
- "A Gateway More Than a City"
- "Las Cruces"
- "The Crosses"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Las Cruces
- Hotels in Las Cruces
- Nightlife in Las Cruces
- Restaurants in Las Cruces
- Shopping in Las Cruces
- Warnings and Dangers in Las Cruces
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Las Cruces
- 17 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Las Cruces?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Las Cruces
Photos in Las CrucesSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Cruces Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 2 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Carlsbad Caverns National Park Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cloudcroft Intro, 1 review, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- El Paso Intro, 1 review, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dallas Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Boulder City 1 review, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Elephant Butte Lake State Park Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- New Mexico Intro, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phoenix Intro, 1 review, 2 photos