"Carlsbad Caverns National Park, New Mexico, US" Carlsbad Caverns National Park by e7forever
Carlsbad Caverns National Park Travel Guide: 150 reviews and 374 photos
Carlsbad Caverns is located about 30 miles from the actual city of Carlsbad. When you arrive to carlsbad caverns you will have to drive up the mountain approximately 5-8 miles. Once you get to the top there is a large parking lot where you can park your vehicle. The entrance and gift shop are right next to the parking lot so you dont have to plan on walking far to get there... the walking comes later.
There are two ways that you can get down to the caverns. One is taking the elevator down to the "big room" below. The other is walking down the natural cave entrance. If possible i would definitely recommend taking the natural entrance. It is about a 45min walk down but it is worth it. Once you get to the bottom you are now in the "big room". This is where the majority of the formations are. The tour in the "big room" takes approximately 1 hour to 1 hour and a half to walk through. The site down there will blow your mind. It's like you are on a different planet!
After you have visited the cave i would recommend sticking around or coming back around sundown. This is when the show starts. There are thousands if not millions of bats that live deep in the cave. Around sundown they began to leave the cave through the natural entrance. This is a site to see! Visitors may sit in an amphitheater type thing around the natural entrance. I would recommend getting there early because it fills up quick. There is also cave personel answering questions for the audience about the bats.
I would definitely recommend visiting Carlsbad Caverns if you ever get a chance. You will be amazed! And don't forget to stay for the bat show!
Directions: Located 30 miles Southwest of Carlsbad, New Mexico, off of US Highway 62/180.
Hours: Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day, 8am to 7pm. Tours available 8:30am to pm. Last entry into cave via natural entrance is 3:30pm. Last entry into cave via elevator is at 5pm
After Labor day until Memorial weekend, 8am to 5pm. Tours available 8:30am to 3:30pm. Last entry into cave via natural entrance is 2pm. Last entry into cave via elevator is at 3:30pm.
Carlsbad Caverns is on Mountain Time.
- In a nutshell:It's like your walking onto another planet!
These two "Lions Tails" are actually hanging from the cavern. This is one of the sites you will see if you take the... more travel advice
A ladder leading down to a deeper part of the cave. Many parts of the cave are still being explored and discovered... more travel advice
e7forever's Related Pages
Carlsbad Caverns National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Carlsbad Caverns National Park Page"
- "Carlsbad Caverns - it blew my mind!"
- "Carlsbad Caverns National Park, One of My Favorite"
- "Carlsbad Cavern: Its Whats Down Below That Counts"
- "The Stunning Underworld..."
- "Carlsbad Caverns National Park, New Mexico, US"
- "A Hobbyist's Thoughts on Cave Photography"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Hotels in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Transportation in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Nightlife in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Restaurants in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Shopping in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Carlsbad Caverns National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
Photos in Carlsbad Caverns National ParkSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Cruces Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 2 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Carlsbad Caverns National Park Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cloudcroft Intro, 1 review, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- El Paso Intro, 1 review, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dallas Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Boulder City 1 review, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Elephant Butte Lake State Park Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- New Mexico Intro, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phoenix Intro, 1 review, 2 photos