"Celebes" South Sulawesi Province by bcrismon
South Sulawesi Province Travel Guide: 259 reviews and 631 photos
If seeing and participating in local culture is your thing, head to the well traveled Tana Toraja. Once you recover from the bus ride to Rantepao, head out to see the sights and find out if there are any celebrations taking place (this is likely). Be forewarned however that this typically involves a lot of animal slaughter. But these ceremonies are fascinating and you are right in the mix.
Makassar is not necessarily a pretty town, but it is a decent size city with city ammenities, a welcome respite from long trips in the sticks. While not a beautiful place, it is interesting and the people were some of the friendliest I had met in indonesia. The chinese food is good and cheap and a welcome alternative to indonesian cuisine. At Pelabuhan harbour you can see the big bugis Perahu and mix with some bugis. At night head to Pharos to see how the locals boogie. For a bit of the sleasy and cheasy join the locals at some of the Karioke joints in and around Chinatown.
There are great walks aroung Batutumonga. And the view from the town is the most spectacular in the area. Hiking up Gunung Sesean was my favorite. We also took an easy downhill walk to Tikala, bemo to Rantepau and back to Batutumonga. The kids were really fun.
- Pros:Fascinating culture and landscapes.
- Cons:Public bus ride from Makassar is rough
bcrismon's Related Pages
South Sulawesi Province Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "South Sulawesi - a landscape of awe"
- "Welcome to Makassar, capital city of South Sulawes"
- "South Sulawesi"
- "Tana Toraja"
- See All...
- Things to Do in South Sulawesi Province
- Hotels in South Sulawesi Province
- Transportation in South Sulawesi Province
- Nightlife in South Sulawesi Province
- Restaurants in South Sulawesi Province
- Shopping in South Sulawesi Province
- Warnings and Dangers in South Sulawesi Province
- See All...
Badges & Stats in South Sulawesi Province
- 1 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to South Sulawesi Province?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in South Sulawesi Province
Photos in South Sulawesi ProvinceSee All Photos (10)
Top PagesSee All Travel Pages (2)
No friends yet.