"Weyauwega pronounced Y-A-WE-GA" Weyauwega by jfreddie

Weyauwega Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 5 photos

my little town

Weyauwega is a small town in the heart of Wisconsin. It is a town of about 1800 people, so pretty small. This is the town that I grew up in for the past 22 years until I recently moved to Minneapolis, MN.

Weyauwega also borders with the neighboring town of Fremont. So the school district name is Weyauwega-Fremont.

We have the privilege of having one of the best rivers in the state coming through our area. The wolf river is a awesome source of recreation, fishing and hunting. Fremont is renowned for its fishing and has been named the "Whitebass fishing capital of the World" and the walleye fishing is wonderful too!!

Train Derailment

Maybe the only thing Weyauwega may be famous for is the great train derailment in March of 1996.

Early in the morning a train traveling through the town derailed with a good percentage of the train having propane cars. To make a long story short there was enough propane cars derailed to blow up the entire town. The town had to be evacuated and we were not let back into our house for about 3 and a half weeks. Being in the seventh grade at the time I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. It was like a long vacation for the kids.

This is a great picture of the Wolf River right before the night sets in.

• Pros:great area of the state
  • Cons:lived there to long
  • In a nutshell:good little town
  • Last visit to Weyauwega: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 25, 2008

• SORHUS's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2010 at 2:32 PM

happy belated birthday :-)

• Jun 22, 2009 at 4:41 AM

I love this little town because i lived there for 9 years but then we moved to Waupaca.=( i hate it here.my mom says im lucky because the weyauwega school systen was horrible.

• Aug 28, 2006 at 10:58 PM

From the spelling and other grammar mistakes it looks like it was the wrong thing for you to return to public school after the train wreck. What does dupped mean? Great pictures. I like seeing them.

jfreddie Used To Live Here!

jfreddie

“If you dont travel, you dont experience what life has to offer”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Weyauwega

Have you been to Weyauwega?

Latest Activity in Weyauwega