"The legend of Saba" Ma'rib by Nansen
Ma'rib Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 41 photos
Marib is well-known for all travellers who visit Yemen for two reasons:
Firstly, it was the legendary main city of Saba kingdom, the queen of which was supposed to be Salomon´s king lover. Secondly, it is the start point in the route across the desert, which end in Seyyun (Hadramawt).
Modern Marib is also the main city of Marib region. This region has a mixture of the highlands of the west and the desert which is extended in north and east direction.
These lands are the land of beduin people, the last nomadic people of the Arabaian Peninsule, wich are sparsed by all the Ramlat as Sabatayn and the Rub al Kali deserts. If you are more interested on beduin people, you can visit my Shabwah´s site.
Beduin life in Marib is begginning to change. The traditional and isolated region of Marib, will be very different in some years, and it´s mainly because of the petrol extraction. New roads habe been builded in the desert, and new people have come to the city and the region to work. Tourist and, specially, archeology works in Saba (which are recent) are also a secondary reason of the change.
- Pros:Legendary kingdom of Saba
- Cons:Marib by night could be dangerous, be careful
- In a nutshell:A place for lovers of history and deserts
In Marib surroundings tradition is mantained. In some places, you can visit these mills moved by camels, as it was done... more travel advice
The old Marib city was builded over the ruins of a Sabean fortress. It had a wall around the city with only three gates.... more travel advice
Nansen's Related Pages
Ma'rib Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The legend of Saba"
- "Chewing Qat in a Cave"
- "Restricted travel"
- "Pictures of Ma'rib"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ma'rib
- Hotels in Ma'rib
- Transportation in Ma'rib
- Nightlife in Ma'rib
- Restaurants in Ma'rib
- Warnings and Dangers in Ma'rib
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ma'rib
- 9 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Ma'rib?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ma'rib
Top 10 Pages
- Costa Rica Intro, 36 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Muhafazat Hadramawt Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manakhah Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos
- Ma'rib Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Muhafazat Shabwah Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Muhafazat al Hudaydah Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Al Mukalla Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Rada` Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kawkaban Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Shaharah Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
No friends yet.