"Magical Mardin" Mardin Ili by terrycowan
Mardin Ili Travel Guide: 113 reviews and 418 photos
The province of Mardin is somewhat off the beaten tourist trail, but well worth the effort. The jewel of Mardin is the old city of Mardin itself, spilling down the side of a towering hill, with a surprisingly modern city below. The old Christian quarter of Midyat is worth a visit, as well. The big draw in the area, however, is the hidden Orthodox churches and monasteries. They are exquisite. The plight of the Suriani has eased, and their position there has stabilized--for now. Finally, much of the region could be considered the upper Mesopatamian plain. The enormous GAP irrigation project in Turkey is transforming this area before your eyes. The formerly arid region is green with new agricultural enterprises and bustling with new development. An eye-opener.
- Pros:Worth the effort
- Cons:none to speak of
- In a nutshell:Not what you might think
The village of Izbirak is located on a knoll, on the north side of the road leading from Midyat to Dargecit (opposite of... more travel advice
This is the most striking, and in my mind, the most beautiful of all the churches in the Mardin province. It is also one... more travel advice
terrycowan's Related Pages
Mardin Ili Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Magical Mardin"
- "The Tur Abdin Region"
- "Mardin - Historical, with religious tolerance"
- "Adourable Stone Carvings of Mardin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mardin Ili
- Hotels in Mardin Ili
- Transportation in Mardin Ili
- Restaurants in Mardin Ili
- Shopping in Mardin Ili
- Warnings and Dangers in Mardin Ili
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mardin Ili
- 18 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Mardin Ili?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mardin Ili
Top 10 Pages
- Mardin Ili Intro, 18 reviews, 31 photos
- T'bilisi Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Mestia Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Trabzon Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 17 reviews, 12 photos
- Artvin Ili Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Veliko Turnovo Intro, 15 reviews, 11 photos
- Van Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos
- Kars Ili Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos
- Sofia Intro, 9 reviews, 7 photos
No friends yet.
Top Mardin Ili hotels
- Mardin Hotels
- 49 Reviews - 204 Photos