"Rila Monastery" Top 5 Page for this destination Rila by terrycowan
Rila Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 240 photos
If you can go only one place in Bulgaria outside of Sofia, this is it! Rila Monastery is perhaps the most revered site in the country. During 500 years of Turkish Ottoman domination, the monasteries safeguarded not only the spiritual welfare of the Bulgarian people, but preserved much of their culture and ultimately served as incubators for their nationalism. None carries more significance than Rila.
A visit to Rila Monastery can be a moving experience, even to the most jaded traveler. I have visited my share of European cathedrals and churches, but none have affected me as has this relatively small church in a remote corner of Bulgaria. I entered the church with a definite sense of awe, a feeling that I was in a very special, very holy place. The icons, the flickering candles, the magnificent iconostasis all help create a sense of mystery and reverence for both worshippers and travelers. I believe there are places in the world where one naturally feels closer to God. Rila is one of those places for me.
Try to arrive relatively early in the day. I don't know how many tour buses regularly stop at Rila, but the presence of a noisy busload of tourists can destroy the mood here. Also, if you are driving from Sofia, watch the road carefully. Tsar Boris Boulevard in Sofia becomes the highway to Pernick once it crosses the Ring Road. You have to turn off this road right before you get into Pernick. If you come to the big abandoned foundry on the left, you have gone too far. The turn-off road is NOT well-marked. I've driven to Rila twice, and missed the main turn-off both times.
- Pros:Probably the most revered site in Bulgaria; incredible setting
- Cons:somewhat difficult to reach
- In a nutshell:If in Bulgaria, you've got to see this
There is an iconographer located just outside the walls of Rila Monastery. His studio is next to the store and near the... more travel advice
terrycowan's Related Pages
Rila Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rila Mountain"
- "RILA WONDERFUL DAY TRIP THROUGH BULGARIAN HILLS"
- "Convincing my friend"
- "Rila Monastery"
- "Nice day trip"
- "Just under the sky... or over everything in BG"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rila
- Hotels in Rila
- Transportation in Rila
- Restaurants in Rila
- Warnings and Dangers in Rila
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rila
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Rila?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rila
Top 10 Pages
- Mardin Ili Intro, 18 reviews, 31 photos
- T'bilisi Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Mestia Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Trabzon Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 17 reviews, 12 photos
- Artvin Ili Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Veliko Turnovo Intro, 15 reviews, 11 photos
- Van Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos
- Kars Ili Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos
- Sofia Intro, 9 reviews, 7 photos
No friends yet.