"Weston, WV" Weston by butterflykizzez04
Weston Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 2 photos
Weston State Hospital
aka "Lunatic Asylum West of the Allegheny Mountains"
"One of the largest hand-cut stone masonry buildings in the United States, the Weston Hospital took two decades to build following the original 1858 plan. Beautifully preserves and conforming to the innovative Kirkbride plan, this West Virginia facility -- once quite isolated -- was a model architectural community that operated for over one hundred years."
Still standing as of 1997, according to the Historic Preservation Service. The community is at this time trying to figure out appropriate uses for the building.
This former asylum made national news in 1999 due to thousands of dollars in vandalism damage by local police. There are plans underway to turn the main building into a National Museum of the Civil War.
- Pros:Beautiful building and lovely grounds
- Cons:Not being used any longer/going to waste
- In a nutshell:Very beautiful building of historic value
butterflykizzez04's Related Pages
Weston Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Weston
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Weston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Weston
Top 10 Pages
- Nashville Intro, 126 reviews, 502 photos
- New York City Intro, 115 reviews, 141 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chattanooga Intro, 33 reviews, 146 photos
- Memphis Intro, 37 reviews, 140 photos
- Fort Payne Intro, 28 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Beach Intro, 56 reviews, 69 photos
- Murfreesboro Intro, 20 reviews, 66 photos
- Montgomery Intro, 16 reviews, 68 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 15 reviews, 68 photos
- Spencer Intro, 13 reviews, 66 photos