"Point Pleasant..full of History and Mystery!!!" Point Pleasant by butterflykizzez04
Point Pleasant Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 47 photos
The original Silver Bridge collapsed in the mid 1960's..it was a 700-foot high bridge that fell and killed many.
In the 1960's there were numerous reports of a mysterious creature that was eventually named the "MOTHMAN". First sighted near route 2 of what was once the Shawnee Chief Cornstalk's hunting grounds. The MOTHMAN is said to look like a man but closer views revealed a much larger creature with functional wings. The wings unfolded from the back and extend the width of the road. Witnesses reported the creature traveling at speeds over 100 mph during encounters which involved vehicles.
The MOTHMAN was later spotted many times in Point Pleasant area. It is described being gray and standing 6-7 feet tall with red hypnotic eyes.
Many other strange occurences had been going on also, John Keel wrote a book; The Mothman Prophecies and Richard Gere starred in the movie, which was not filmed in Point Pleasant..lol
The Shawnee Indian Chief Cornstalk is buried at the park near the Ohio River.
Cornstalk's Curse....In 1777, the friendly Shawnee Chief Cornstalk, his son, Elinipsico, Red Hawk and another prominent Indian were murdered in retaliation for the murder of a member of the garrison. It is reported that as Chief Cornstalk laid dying, he placed a two-hundred year curse on the town which resulted in all the 1960's mayhem over the Mothman. Chief Cornstalk was buried at the corner of the Courthouse but now rest in a tomb beneath his monument at Tu-Endie-Wei State Park.
- Pros:Beautiful parks and lovely Ohio river views
- Cons:Never saw the MOTHMAN
- In a nutshell:Very nice area, full of history....and mystery if you believe in the Mothman
Take a trip in our working model of an old steamboat pilot house. Come and experience our exhibits of the Silver Bridge... more travel advice
Fort Randolph at Krodel Park in Point Pleasant ws officially dedicated by WV Governor Arch Moore on 10-10-1974 on the... more travel advice
butterflykizzez04's Related Pages
Point Pleasant Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Point Pleasant
- Hotels in Point Pleasant
- Restaurants in Point Pleasant
- Warnings and Dangers in Point Pleasant
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Point Pleasant
- 20 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Point Pleasant?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Point Pleasant
Photos in Point PleasantSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 115 reviews, 141 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Beach Intro, 56 reviews, 69 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 15 reviews, 68 photos
- Columbus Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lexington Intro, 36 reviews, 38 photos
- Point Pleasant Intro, 20 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nassau Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charleston Intro, 16 reviews, 43 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 9 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hocking Hills State Park Intro, 25 reviews, 27 photos
No friends yet.