"Helvetia, West Virginia" Helvetia by butterflykizzez04
Helvetia Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 32 photos
This small Swiss Village was settled in the lush Allegheny Mountains in 1869. Residents of the village work hard at maintaining the traditions and customs of the people who settled there. Helvetia was one of the first districts in the state to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places. There are 10 historic buildings that have been preserved including an original settler's cabin which serves as a museum containing many of the articles used by the original settlers in everyday life.
Enrica Hofer McMillon, a local artisan, is a native of Helvetia, descended from the early Swiss settlers. She has been a fiber artisan for many years, spinning, knitting, crocheting, weaving, and feltmaking (using the traditional wet method), as well as designing and sewing dolls and theatrical costumes. Her latest interest is in the art of needle felting.
Needle felting is a little-known art, in which loose wool is sculpted into form using a sharp, barbed needle.
Enrica creates the remarkable characters shown in the galleries, using only loose wool, a felting needle (and a lot of bandaids). Her work can be seen at the Seneca Gallery in Morgantown, WV, as well as at the studio. Each is an original piece of art - there is no duplication or mass production!
Follow the Buchannon River past the Beekeeper Inn, Cheese Haus, Pottery Shop, and Joe's Wood Shop to the Old Helvetia Cemetery.
- Pros:Lovely Village and Scenic
- Cons:Nestled in a valley with narrow roads
- In a nutshell:Great atmospher, nice afternoon, a must for all!
This shop is located beside the Cheese Haus and is across the creek and bridge from the Hutte restaurant. It was open... more travel advice
Helvetia was settled by group of Swiss and German immigrants who came via Brooklyn, NY in 1869. This picture is taken... more travel advice
butterflykizzez04's Related Pages
Helvetia Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Yosemite National Park Hotels
- Lauerzersee Hotels
- Pulau Perhentian Kecil
- Ban Pak Bara Hotels
- Kota Kinabalu
- Departamento de Islas de la Bahía
- San Francisco del Monte Hotels
- Grand Cayman
- Point Judith Hotels
- Monaco Hotels
Badges & Stats in Helvetia
- 19 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Helvetia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helvetia
Photos in HelvetiaSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 115 reviews, 141 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Beach Intro, 56 reviews, 69 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 15 reviews, 68 photos
- Columbus Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lexington Intro, 36 reviews, 38 photos
- Point Pleasant Intro, 20 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nassau Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charleston Intro, 16 reviews, 43 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 9 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hocking Hills State Park Intro, 25 reviews, 27 photos
No friends yet.