"Hawks Nest State Park, West Virginia" Hawks Nest State Park by butterflykizzez04
Hawks Nest State Park Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 19 photos
We took this trip with the kids. My cousin, Shari and I loaded up the van and headed for the mountains. All the leaves had changed and it was very beautiful.
Nestled in the heart of whitewater rafting country, Hawks Nest State Park encompasses 276 acres bordering a rugged section of the New River Gorge National River. Long known for its panoramic views, the park offers a modern , 31 room lodge for the comfort of overnight guests. Suites are available at an additional cost. Below the lodge, the New River forms peaceful Hawks Nest Lake. Above the lake, the narrow canyon and rushing water create one the most challenging wildwater boating waterways in the nation
In the park's historic section, high above the canyon and main overlook, is the park's museum. Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the early 1930s, the rustic log building offers displays of Indian and pioneer artifacts. Admission is free. The park's main overlook snack bar, souvenir stand and picnicking facilities round out the accommodations in this area of the park.
Whether you're searching for an ideal summer vacation, access to exciting whitewater or a quick getaway to view autumn's color symphony. Hawks Nest is a perfect year-round sanctuary from urban cares
Hawks Nest Canyon Tramway
The aerial tramway from Hawks Nest Lodge to the marina at the bottom of the New River Gorge is operated on weekends (Sat & Sun) through the month of May to Memorial Day, then daily until Labor Day, then weekends (Sat & Sun) through September, and daily through the last weekend in October. Tram hours: weekdays, 11 a.m.- 4:45 p.m.; weekends 11a.m.- 6:45 p.m.
The tram is closed Mondays (except holidays)
Hawks Nest Museum
The rustic museum and nearby snack bar are open to the public from April 1 to November 1 (Hours vary with the season.)
- In a nutshell:Beautiful scenic views in the mountains of West Virginia
There are alot of picnic tables here, some with and without a shelter. There is a gift shop and a museum. The museum is... more travel advice
butterflykizzez04's Related Pages
Hawks Nest State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HAWK'S NEST STATE PARK - WEST VIRGINIA"
- "Hawks Nest State Park, West Virginia"
- "Easy access to the river"
- "The Hawk has landed.."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hawks Nest State Park
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Hawks Nest State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hawks Nest State Park
Photos in Hawks Nest State ParkSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Nashville Intro, 202 reviews, 838 photos
- Chattanooga Intro, 47 reviews, 218 photos
- New York City Intro, 115 reviews, 141 photos, 3 travelogues
- Memphis Intro, 46 reviews, 181 photos
- Fort Payne Intro, 28 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Beach Intro, 56 reviews, 69 photos
- Birmingham Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos
- Bowling Green Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos
- Murfreesboro Intro, 25 reviews, 83 photos
- Montgomery Intro, 16 reviews, 68 photos