"James River Plantations on Rt 5" James River Landing by butterflykizzez04
James River Landing Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 31 photos
we stopped at the westover plantation located on the James River. It is not opened to the public but during Garden Week in April for house tours, but the gardens and grounds are open for touring with a fee.
Westover was built circa 1730 by William Byrd II, the founder of Richmond.
It is noteworthy for its secret passages, magnificent gardens, and architectural details. The grounds and garden are open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily, but the house is not open to the public.
Westover was named for Henry West, fourth Lord Delaware and son of Thomas West, Governor of Virginia. The shady tulip poplars framing the building are more than 150 years old. "Ancient" is the best word to describe the boxwood hedges which enclose the lawn.
The house is considered one of the most outstanding example of Georgian architecture in America. Of special notice is the unusually steepness of the roof, the tall chimneys in pairs at both ends. Another special touch is the elaborate doorway, which continues to be recognized as "the Westover doorway" despite its adaptation to many other buildings.
The special charm of the house lies in its elegant yet extremely simple form and proportions, combined with its perfect setting in the landscape, the essence of the artistic ideals of its period adapted to the style of living in Colonial Virginia.
The two wings were originally identical and not connected to the three-story central structure. The east wing, which once contained the famous Byrd library of more than 4,000 volumes, burned during the War Between the States.
The present east wing was built about 1900, and both wings were connected to the main home at that time
- Pros:Beautiful area to travel in and go back into time
- Cons:no cons at all
- In a nutshell:If you love history, then check out these plantations
The home is recognized as an architectural treasure. Its famous carved walnut staircase rises for three stories without... more travel advice
A visit to Shirley Plantation affords a panorama of rare historical continuity. Shirley was founded six years after the... more travel advice
butterflykizzez04's Related Pages
James River Landing Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in James River Landing
- 10 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to James River Landing?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in James River Landing
Photos in James River LandingSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 115 reviews, 141 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Beach Intro, 56 reviews, 69 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 15 reviews, 68 photos
- Columbus Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lexington Intro, 36 reviews, 38 photos
- Point Pleasant Intro, 20 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nassau Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charleston Intro, 16 reviews, 43 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 9 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hocking Hills State Park Intro, 25 reviews, 27 photos
No friends yet.