"Hocking Hills State Park, Logan area of Ohio" Top 5 Page for this destination Hocking Hills State Park by butterflykizzez04
Hocking Hills State Park Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 82 photos
Today, Shari and I (my cousin) took our children hiking at Hocking Hills State Park. My dau., Noel age 9, and her two kids, Tayler age 7 and Cullen age 5 really enjoyed it.
We visited Old Man's Cave, Upper and Lower Falls were also there. Then we went to Cedar Falls about 3 miles away, and then over to Ash Cave, which was another 3 miles away. Then we drove over to the Hocking Hills State Park lodge and had lunch. Then, we drove about 8 miles over to the Rock House cave.
It was a nice trip and the kids as well us enjoyed it. The caves were only about 1.5 hrs from where we live so it was a nice drive.
Hocking Hills provides a variety of recreational opportunities in a splendid natural setting. Towering cliffs, waterfalls and deep hemlock-shaded gorges lure the hiker and naturalist and serve as a backdrop to popular facilities and accommodations.
The natural history of this region is as fascinating as the caves are beautiful. Here, in these sandstones and shales, one can read Ohio's history from the rocks. The scenic features of the six areas of the Hocking Hills State Park complex are carved in the Blackhand sandstone. This bedrock was deposited more than 350 million years ago as a delta in the warm shallow sea which covered Ohio at that time. Subsequent millions of years of uplift and stream erosion created the awesome beauty seen today.
The sandstone varies in composition and hardness from softer, loosely cemented middle zone to harder top and bottom layers. The recess caves at Ash Cave, Old Man's Cave and Cantwell Cliffs are all carved in the softer middle zone. Weathering and erosion widened cracks found in the middle layer of sandstone at the Rock House to create that unusual formation.
- Pros:Lots of Natural Beauty to enjoy for free
- Cons:Alot of walking, but fun
- In a nutshell:Enjoying nature and getting a good workout at the same time.
There are over 25 miles of trails winding through Hocking Hills State Park. Each trail is unique- offering visitors to... more travel advice
From guided night hikes through the dim recesses of Ash Cave in the spring to a snow-covered exploration for Ohio's... more travel advice
butterflykizzez04's Related Pages
Hocking Hills State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hocking Hills State Park, Logan area of Ohio"
- "This is Ohio?"
- "Hocking Hills State Park Trips"
- "For Nature Lovers, Hikers, Photographers, & Lovers"
- "So Beautiful!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hocking Hills State Park
- Hotels in Hocking Hills State Park
- Nightlife in Hocking Hills State Park
- Restaurants in Hocking Hills State Park
- Shopping in Hocking Hills State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Hocking Hills State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hocking Hills State Park
- 25 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Hocking Hills State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hocking Hills State Park
Photos in Hocking Hills State ParkSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Nashville Intro, 127 reviews, 507 photos
- New York City Intro, 115 reviews, 141 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chattanooga Intro, 33 reviews, 146 photos
- Memphis Intro, 37 reviews, 140 photos
- Fort Payne Intro, 28 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Beach Intro, 56 reviews, 69 photos
- Murfreesboro Intro, 20 reviews, 66 photos
- Montgomery Intro, 16 reviews, 68 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 15 reviews, 68 photos
- Spencer Intro, 13 reviews, 66 photos