"Hocking Hills State Park, Logan area of Ohio" Top 5 Page for this destination Hocking Hills State Park by butterflykizzez04

Hocking Hills State Park Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 82 photos

The Kids really enjoyed our visit to Hocking Hills

Today, Shari and I (my cousin) took our children hiking at Hocking Hills State Park. My dau., Noel age 9, and her two kids, Tayler age 7 and Cullen age 5 really enjoyed it.

We visited Old Man's Cave, Upper and Lower Falls were also there. Then we went to Cedar Falls about 3 miles away, and then over to Ash Cave, which was another 3 miles away. Then we drove over to the Hocking Hills State Park lodge and had lunch. Then, we drove about 8 miles over to the Rock House cave.

It was a nice trip and the kids as well us enjoyed it. The caves were only about 1.5 hrs from where we live so it was a nice drive.

Hocking Hills State Park, Logan Ohio

Hocking Hills provides a variety of recreational opportunities in a splendid natural setting. Towering cliffs, waterfalls and deep hemlock-shaded gorges lure the hiker and naturalist and serve as a backdrop to popular facilities and accommodations.

Old Man's Cave, is main attraction

The natural history of this region is as fascinating as the caves are beautiful. Here, in these sandstones and shales, one can read Ohio's history from the rocks. The scenic features of the six areas of the Hocking Hills State Park complex are carved in the Blackhand sandstone. This bedrock was deposited more than 350 million years ago as a delta in the warm shallow sea which covered Ohio at that time. Subsequent millions of years of uplift and stream erosion created the awesome beauty seen today.

The sandstone varies in composition and hardness from softer, loosely cemented middle zone to harder top and bottom layers. The recess caves at Ash Cave, Old Man's Cave and Cantwell Cliffs are all carved in the softer middle zone. Weathering and erosion widened cracks found in the middle layer of sandstone at the Rock House to create that unusual formation.

• Pros:Lots of Natural Beauty to enjoy for free
  • Cons:Alot of walking, but fun
  • In a nutshell:Enjoying nature and getting a good workout at the same time.
  • Last visit to Hocking Hills State Park: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 1, 2005

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Good page.

• kevanrijn's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2007 at 3:00 AM

My husband and I have talked about visiting here--maybe your info will help us quit procastinating and go--though I think we will wait for warmer weather.... If you ever go back to the Parkersburg area, check out my pages for ideas.

• cazz38's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2005 at 8:51 AM

Great page Lisa,looks like you all had lots of fun.My three would love this.

butterflykizzez04

“Live, Love, Laugh and then Laugh some more!”

Badges & Stats in Hocking Hills State Park

Have you been to Hocking Hills State Park?