Wanaka Off The Beaten Path Tips by Robmj Top 5 Page for this destination
Wanaka Off The Beaten Path: 12 reviews and 21 photos
View from above bushline Cascade Saddle
This is a hard alpine route that is in the Mt Aspiring National Park.
The best way to do it is to start form the Aspiring Hut which is some 9kms or 2 hours in from the Raspberry Creek Car Park. From the hut, you climb quite steeply upto an area 1800 meters high known as the pylon. From here you are in alpine territory thru to the Cascade Saddle which then flattens out onto the Dart Hut. From Aspiring Hut it will take you 4-5 hours to get to Cascade saddle and in all around 8-10 hours from hut to hut. Do not do this track in bad weather, there have been a number of tragedies here with river crossings and the steep parts adding to its difficulty. Don't be put off though, the views are tremendous.
Best to check conditions with the DOC (Department of Conservation) office in downtown Wanaka before you leave.
To get there take the road from Wanaka on the west side of the Lake past Glendu Bay, down the Matukituki valley to the Raspberry Creek Carpark which is along an unsealed road around 1 hours from Wanaka,
View from the Crown Range Road
its not off the beaten path, as its the most direct route between Wanaka and over to Arrowtown or Queenstown. It is a very high road and susceptible to ice and snow during winter months, but the views are stunning.
Its only 56kms long with Cardrona skifield and town at the mid point. The other way round (SH 6) takes about 20-30 minutes longer through the gorge.
Its not really off the beaten path as its the quickest road from Wanaka to Queenstown but most tour buses and people travel around the gorge rather than up over this road, especially in Winter.
Its the highest tar-sealed road in Australasia and takes around 1 hour. Make sure you stop at the Cardrona Hotel which is around 15 minutes from Wanaka.
Its a great way to spend half a day or day exploing this valley and there are many activities at Cardrona itself from skiing, horse riding, snow farm and alpine cross country, quad bike adventure and monster trucks. All for a town with a population of 150!
More Reviews (21)
Robmj's Related Pages
Wanaka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wanaka! My fav town in South Island!"
- "Warbirds, wonderful scenery and more .."
- "My base camp for NZ snow experience"
- "Wanaka on Lake Wanaka"
- "SCENIC WANAKA"
- "Wanaka and Queenstown"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wanaka
- Hotels in Wanaka
- Transportation in Wanaka
- Nightlife in Wanaka
- Restaurants in Wanaka
- Warnings and Dangers in Wanaka
- See All...
Explore the World
- Erindale Hotels
- Kampung Baru Hotels
- Scarborough Hotels
- Key Biscayne
- Hood River
- Norritonville Hotels
- Champagne-Ardenne Off The Beaten Path
- Monsaraz Off The Beaten Path
- Residential Areas
- De Haan Off The Beaten Path
- Red Rock Canyon
- Astoria Off The Beaten Path
- Stavanger Off The Beaten Path
- Ancona Off The Beaten Path
- Zante Off The Beaten Path
- Aqaba Off The Beaten Path
- Piran Off The Beaten Path
- Los Barriles Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Wanaka
- 24 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Wanaka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wanaka
Photos in WanakaSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wanaka Intro, 24 reviews, 20 photos
- Italy Intro, 6 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tanzania Intro, 3 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dunedin Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Morocco Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 16 reviews, 14 photos
- Paris Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos
- Catlins Lake Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Greece Intro, 2 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Laos Intro, 3 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
No friends yet.
Latest Wanaka hotel reviews
- Lakeside Serviced Apartments Wanaka
- 164 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Flag Hotel Mount Aspiring
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Wanaka Stonehouse Hotel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 16, 2011
- Wanaka Hotel
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2013
- Te Wanaka Lodge Wanaka
- 105 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- YHA Wanaka
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Cardrona Hotel
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- The Moorings
- 122 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013