"Wanaka" Top 5 Page for this destination Wanaka by Robmj
Wanaka Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 355 photos
As I said on my main page, Wanaka is as good as it gets, its a beautiful town in the Central Otago region of the South Island of New Zealand. I like it not only because I've got a home here, it has some of the best scenery going, and has lots to do, both a Summer and Winter destination.
Its a lot quieter than its near neighbour Queenstown, and has many of the same attractions going for it. Not as much adventure activities but lots of outdoor walking and other attractions.
Its a paradise for the outdoors lover with heaps of amazing walking tracks, heaven for those that like good wines with many great vineyards in the area, it has great warm weather in Summer and plenty of snow for sking and snowboarding in the winter. Oh, and there is a great Lake thrown in for plenty of water activities.
The town itself, while small, is quite cosmopolitan, with many great cafes, bars and lots of good shops. The area has plenty of good accommodation and has an airport with daily flights from Christchurch. If driving, there is a beautiful drive through the middle of the South Island and would take you around 5 hours from Christchurch. It is a great launch spot to drive up the West Coast of the South Island and driving distance to the nearest cities of Dunedin and Invercargill (my other home town) are both only 3 hours away.
Have a look at the many tips I've created (and are creating) to show you all the many splendors of this great area!
- Pros:its as good as it gets
- In a nutshell:Wanaka, another stunning day in paradise
The Crown Range Road is the most direct route between Wanaka and over to Arrowtown or Queenstown. It is a very high road... more travel advice
Brilliantly positioned opposite the lakefront right near the heart of the town, the Moorings contain motel type single... more travel advice
Robmj's Related Pages
Wanaka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wanaka! My fav town in South Island!"
- "Warbirds, wonderful scenery and more .."
- "My base camp for NZ snow experience"
- "Wanaka on Lake Wanaka"
- "SCENIC WANAKA"
- "Wanaka and Queenstown"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wanaka
- Hotels in Wanaka
- Transportation in Wanaka
- Nightlife in Wanaka
- Restaurants in Wanaka
- Warnings and Dangers in Wanaka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wanaka
- 24 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Wanaka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wanaka
Photos in WanakaSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wanaka Intro, 24 reviews, 20 photos
- Italy Intro, 6 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tanzania Intro, 3 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dunedin Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Morocco Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 16 reviews, 14 photos
- Paris Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos
- Catlins Lake Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Greece Intro, 2 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Laos Intro, 3 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
No friends yet.
Latest Wanaka hotel reviews
- Lakeside Serviced Apartments Wanaka
- 164 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Flag Hotel Mount Aspiring
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Wanaka Stonehouse Hotel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 16, 2011
- The Moorings
- 123 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Wanaka Hotel
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2013
- YHA Wanaka
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Te Wanaka Lodge Wanaka
- 106 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Cardrona Hotel
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013