"Wanaka" Top 5 Page for this destination Wanaka by Robmj

Wanaka Travel Guide: 117 reviews and 373 photos

As I said on my main page, Wanaka is as good as it gets, its a beautiful town in the Central Otago region of the South Island of New Zealand. I like it not only because I've got a home here, it has some of the best scenery going, and has lots to do, both a Summer and Winter destination.

Its a lot quieter than its near neighbour Queenstown, and has many of the same attractions going for it. Not as much adventure activities but lots of outdoor walking and other attractions.

Its a paradise for the outdoors lover with heaps of amazing walking tracks, heaven for those that like good wines with many great vineyards in the area, it has great warm weather in Summer and plenty of snow for sking and snowboarding in the winter. Oh, and there is a great Lake thrown in for plenty of water activities.

The town itself, while small, is quite cosmopolitan, with many great cafes, bars and lots of good shops. The area has plenty of good accommodation and has an airport with daily flights from Christchurch. If driving, there is a beautiful drive through the middle of the South Island and would take you around 5 hours from Christchurch. It is a great launch spot to drive up the West Coast of the South Island and driving distance to the nearest cities of Dunedin and Invercargill (my other home town) are both only 3 hours away.

Have a look at the many tips I've created (and are creating) to show you all the many splendors of this great area!

• Pros:its as good as it gets
  • In a nutshell:Wanaka, another stunning day in paradise
  • Intro Updated Feb 16, 2013

• Tricky_Dicky69's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Hi Rob, thanks for the great Wanaka tips. We'll be visiting soon - can't wait. Ashraf's here we come.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Can't believe I've missed this page up until now! Thanks for the tip about Ashraf's - definitely on the list for our next Wanaka stay - Warbirds 2010 already booked. leyle

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Wow, your photos make me want to return to Wanaka and do some hiking. Wish I had a digital last time. We loved Wanaka, perhaps one of the few people who liked it more than Queenstown.

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2008 at 1:34 AM

Matukituki is one of my fav places!! Aspiring hut is amazing.

Robmj Visits Here Frequently!

Robmj

“make a loose plan, but then don't be afraid not to follow it”

Badges & Stats in Wanaka