"Cromwell, NZ's newest old town" Cromwell by Robmj
Cromwell Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 53 photos
Cromwell was reinvented following the construction of the Clyde Dam as one of NZ's "think big" projects during the late 1970's. The dam turned a gorgous old gorge into a man made lake which now is considered a major popular recreational asset.
Old Cromwell was a mining town from the 19th century, parts of the old town were relocated above the new lake line and make an interesting historic precinct within Cromwell.
The modern town is well served with amenities and enjoys the superb central Otago weather, beautiful snowy countryside in winter and hot summer days.
Nearby districts display the goldfields heritage with nearby Bendigo and Bannockburn providing a fascinating insight into this era. The region is now also famous for its vineyards and there are numerous nearby wineries to enjoy the fine wine and splendid food at the vineyard cafes.
Cromwell is the cross roads for the central district, roads led to Wanaka, Queenstown and the cities of Dunedin & Invercargill. Wanaka, Queenstown and Arrowtown are not far away, making this a very central part of the region. Of course, from here, you can also take the beautiful drive up the centre of the South Island passing via Tarras, Twizel, Omarama, Mt Cook, Lake Tekapo and onto Christchurch.
There are plenty of nearby walking opportunities and many great golf courses and other activites.
You will not run out of things to do in this area. Come and enjoy.
This is another area full of historic interest and has extensive quartz reef mining workings. Extreme care is needed... more travel advice
Robmj's Related Pages
Cromwell Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cromwell - A perfect place for a stopover"
- "Cromwell - Central Otago"
- "A must stop for dried fruit fanatics"
- "Cromwell, NZ's newest old town"
- "From the Gold Pan to the Fruit Bowl"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cromwell
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Cromwell?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cromwell
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wanaka Intro, 24 reviews, 20 photos
- Italy Intro, 6 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tanzania Intro, 3 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dunedin Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Morocco Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 16 reviews, 14 photos
- Paris Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos
- Catlins Lake Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Greece Intro, 2 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Laos Intro, 3 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
No friends yet.