"A Historic Goldmining Town" Arrowtown by Robmj
Arrowtown Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 311 photos
This is a very picturesque town, popular with tourists, but it manages to retain a "locals" feel compared to its ritzy neighbour Queenstown.
Only 19kms away, via either the scenic Arthurs Point road that passes over the Shotover river and under the Coronet Skiefield or via Frankton, Arrowntown is a destination in its own right or for many, a day trip from Queenstown.
The Arrow river gorge which is opposite the town, was the site of William Fox's gold discovery in 1862. Macetown in the upper arrow river was the site of extensive quartz mining.
Arrowtown only has a population of around 2,000 but many facilities, cafes, bars and the like to cater for all needs.
There are many walks around the town and it is an old kiwi favourite place for a family holiday.
The main street - Buckingham, has a great feel with lots of shops to attract you as you stroll around the relaxing atmosphere, further down, the street has a historic area and is lined by large Oak trees.
The river makes a great place to wander around or play, you see many families doing just that and the nearby old Chinese miners town is a fascinating glimpse into the gold history of the place.
- Pros:A relaxing, charming town
The Arrow Basin was formed when the great glaciers carved out the Wakatipu Basin. Local Maori had settled in the area... more travel advice
This old miners camp is well worth a visit, its only metres down the track behind the Arrowtown main street. There are... more travel advice
Robmj's Related Pages
Arrowtown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Arrowtown a special hideaway."
- "Arrowtown - Discover the Historic Mining Town"
- "Arrowtown - A Beautiful Town Among the Mountains"
- "Arrowtown, Otago."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arrowtown
- Hotels in Arrowtown
- Transportation in Arrowtown
- Nightlife in Arrowtown
- Restaurants in Arrowtown
- Shopping in Arrowtown
- See All...
Explore the World
- Goat Island Hotels
- Denali National Park and Preserve
- Taipei Shih
- Boone Hotels
- Brims Corner Hotels
- Cayman Brac
- Opstina Veles
- Morro del Jable
- Jessie M Honeyman Memorial State Park Hotels
- West New York Hotels
- Rivière-du-Loup Hotels
- Lexington Park
Badges & Stats in Arrowtown
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Arrowtown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arrowtown
Photos in ArrowtownSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wanaka Intro, 24 reviews, 20 photos
- Italy Intro, 6 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tanzania Intro, 3 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dunedin Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Morocco Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 16 reviews, 14 photos
- Paris Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos
- Catlins Lake Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Greece Intro, 2 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Laos Intro, 3 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
No friends yet.