"Clyde" Clyde by Robmj
Clyde Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 32 photos
This is a very small and relaxing central Otago town.
It is one of the official ends of the central otago rail trail and is a very low key piece of the great central Otago region.
The town itself has quite a historic past and the main street has many fine examples of building from a bygone era. The pub and nearby famous restaurant (Olivers) which is being restored provides a focal point.
The Clyde dam is just north of the town and is a major power infrastructure for NZ as well as providing the man made Lake Dunstan which is a popular recreational facility for the area.
Locally, you can taste many fine central Otago wines, or head off to the bowling and golf club if you are wanting a bit of relaxation.
It is a good base for exploring the central area and Maniatoto district which is quite spectacular in its own right. The rail trail meanders its way through the heart of this splendid region.
This is now a 4WD track, especially in winter when it is generally closed from May to October. The old stage coach... more travel advice
Named after a large run holder, William Dansey, this once well-trodden pass through tussock country links the Maniototo... more travel advice
Robmj's Related Pages
Clyde Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Clyde - One of the older towns in Otago"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Clyde
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Clyde?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Clyde
Top 10 Pages
- Annapurna Himal Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wanaka Intro, 24 reviews, 20 photos
- Italy Intro, 6 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tanzania Intro, 3 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dunedin Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Egypt Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Morocco Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos
- Catlins Lake Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Greece Intro, 2 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
No friends yet.