"Home Base" Top 5 Page for this destination Invercargill by Robmj
Invercargill Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 66 photos
Invercargill is my home base, although these days I like to think of Wanaka (3 hours away) as my other home base.
Invercargill is at the bottom of the South Island of New Zealand and is great place to live even if the weather can be challenging at times. It also has its fair share of good weather and the winter days that start with a frost but have clear blue skies, sun shining and lovely chrisp temperatures are just stunning.
Invercargill has some lovely sunsets and sunrises as shown in this photo.
The city only has a population base of 50,000 but has many great facilities supported by community funders. It is a superb base to enjoy the many outdoor activities that are right on your doorstep, national parks, beaches, rivers and many excellent local walking tracks.
The Southland region is great farming country with sheep, beef and now heavy dairy farming. The area is rich in resources.
The tourist region of Central Otago (Queenstown is only a 2 hour drive away) is nearby as is Te Anau (1˝ hours) and its national park and of course, Milford Sound.
Steward Island is over the Foveaux straight, a notorious stretch of water, but with its cold seas, it is home to the best white fish in the world, I kid you not, Blue Cod from Foveaux Straight cannot be beaten. The Bluff Oysters are also world famous.
Invercargill has a great facility - Queens Park right in the middle of the city and the city is surrounded by 4 golf courses. Down town is more lively these days with a number of good bars, cafes and restaurants.
- Pros:Great outdoor activities on your doorstep
This is not as gruesome as it sounds, the reclaimed land has been turned into a very pleasant area to walk and see the... more travel advice
Robmj's Related Pages
Invercargill Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home Base"
- "Blooming Marvellous"
- "Southern Port City and Gateway to Stewart"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Invercargill
- Hotels in Invercargill
- Transportation in Invercargill
- Nightlife in Invercargill
- Restaurants in Invercargill
- Shopping in Invercargill
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Invercargill
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Invercargill?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Invercargill
Photos in InvercargillSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Annapurna Himal Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wanaka Intro, 24 reviews, 20 photos
- Italy Intro, 6 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tanzania Intro, 3 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dunedin Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Egypt Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Morocco Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos
- Catlins Lake Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Greece Intro, 2 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
No friends yet.