"Trekking Paradise" Top 5 Page for this destination Annapurna Himal by Robmj
Annapurna Himal Travel Guide: 218 reviews and 519 photos
I had wanted to do this renowned circuit for some time. The scenery and diversity this trek offers is just superb.
The trail is connected by a series of small villages with "teahouses" which provide basic accommodation, meals and drinks. The friendly owners will make you very welcome.
The circuit follows the Marsyandi valley to the north of the main Himalayan range with a number of 7,000+ metre peaks in view and a few over 8,000m. The high point is the 5,416m Thorung La Pass and then you descend into the upper Kali Ganaki Valley.
Independent walking is completely do-able, but many support the local economy by hiring local guides and porters. These can be arranged in Kathmandu or from local villages around the trail if needed.
The full circuit takes nearly 3 weeks, but we shortened that missing out the trek past Jomsom as that is where the road on the Western side runs.
Most people do the circuit east to west or counter clockwise, as this allows you to acclimatise building up to the Thorung La Pass at 5,416 metres. Be prepared for all weather and conditions, we had a real mix on our trip.
Our trek went as follows:
Day 1: Kathmandu to Bhulbhule via a 7 hour local bus ride
Day 2: Bhulbhule to Jargot, about 15kms or 6 hours
Day 3: Jargot to Dharapani (1,960m) which was another 15kms or 6 hours
Day 4: Dharapani to Chame (2,710m), some steep sections and great views
Day 5: Chame to Pisang (3,250m) this is where you really see the big peaks
Day 6: Pisang to Manang (3,540m) via the Upper route
Day 7: Manang - acclimatisation day visiting local Monastery
Day 8: Manang to Yak Kharkha (4,200m)
Day 9: Yak Kharha to High Camp (4,800m) big day with lots of snow and ice
Day 10: Over Thorung La Pass (5,416m) and down to Muktinath
Day 11: Jeep to Jomson and Tatopani
Day 11: "Taxi" to Pokhara
The trek was great with many memories, these include finding the advertised "hot shower" at teahouses was in fact a cold tap at waist height with a bucket of water beside it through to the feeling of being up on the Thorung La Pass after a 5am start in the dark and snow.
The local village people were just great and many stops at places for something to eat or a cup of tea were rewarded by enjoyable hospitality from these people. The trail contained some very steep sections, beautiful valleys, rivers, pine forests and after a few days in, great views of the huge peaks. I would certainly recommend taking the high (upper route) trail from Pisang to Manang. While a lot harder than the flatter lower trail, the scenery and views of the Annapurna ranges couldn't be beaten.
I also recall the local bus trip from Kathmandu. A 7 hours ride jammed packed full of people and produce winding along narrow mountain paths. Unforgettable.
- Pros:Pretty much everything
- Cons:The road
- In a nutshell:One of the World's great walks
Pokhara is the end of the Annapurna Circuit (AC) and is a great place to relax after doing the AC. It can also form a... more travel advice
Although trekking the Annapurna Circuit to cross the Thorung La Pass may not be as grueling an adventure as climbing... more travel advice
Robmj's Related Pages
Annapurna Himal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Annapurna Conservation Area - a Trekking Guide"
- "Annapurna 6 day's trekking."
- "ANNAPURNA---A DREAM COME TRUE"
- "Trekking Paradise"
- "Trying the Annapurna Circuit"
- "Around the Annapurna's: a first class party trek"
- "Annapurna Base Camp Trek - A superb trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Annapurna Himal
- Hotels in Annapurna Himal
- Transportation in Annapurna Himal
- Nightlife in Annapurna Himal
- Restaurants in Annapurna Himal
- Shopping in Annapurna Himal
- Warnings and Dangers in Annapurna Himal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Annapurna Himal
- 13 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Annapurna Himal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Annapurna Himal
Photos in Annapurna HimalSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Annapurna Himal Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wanaka Intro, 24 reviews, 20 photos
- State of Rajasthan Intro, 10 reviews, 30 photos
- Italy Intro, 6 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tanzania Intro, 3 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dunedin Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Egypt Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Morocco Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos
- Catlins Lake Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
No friends yet.