"Out of all places Lagos, Nigeria" Top 5 Page for this destination Lagos by ychia76

Lagos Travel Guide: 120 reviews and 233 photos

Life in Lagos

I lived in Lagos during my childhood from age 5-16 (1981-1992). As a child you think that everything around you is normal. Lagos is my hometown. Everyone I met that I spoke to about Nigeria are intrigue about "what is this Chinese girl doing in Africa?" So my motto with travel is about having the curiosity to try everything and learn everything whatever drives you to live the life that you choose.

My grandfather was the adventurous one. He ventured to Nigeria in the early 1950s and started his business there. My father moved there to help him with his business and then my mother, my brother and I joined in.

Lagos is still a bustling city with the most population. Even the Chinese community in Lagos is pretty substantial. All the Chinese knows each other.

I went back recently in 2003, Lagos did change to a city filled with commercial and billboards everywhere.

But getting out of airport custom is still about networking with who you know and in this case money in any shape or form is welcome at all times.

Living in OIL

Nigeria was a booming country during the 1980s because of its resource OIL! The government is corrupted you can't tell who the bad from the good. Even the police would be stealing just like the high government offical stealing from its people. Taking all the money they get from the oil boom and moving out of the country.

This picture was taken from my drive from Ikeja to Lagos Victoria Island. It is a typical home for most Nigerians in the area.

Traffic is really bad during the weekdays. I remember it took me 2 hours to get to school from Ikeja to Lagos Victoria Island. I went to A.I.S (American International School of Lagos). During the weekend if I take the same road to go to school it only takes less than 30 mins.

Standard on the Road

You can find all sort of cars just driving around. From beat up Honda Accords to brand new Hummer. The wealthy are beyond rich and the poor cannot even afford to make ends meat. There is no inbetween. My family would be consider filthy rich but in the California we are just the middle cross section of the income bracket.

I never set my foot on the street and just take a walk. All my travel from one place to the next has been by car. Walking in the market is okay because I will be buying things and the store owners are friendly. "O yi bow"

When I started school at age of 6, I learned English in British standards and I also was speaking in Pidgin English among the Nigerian students.

My dad would be called Oga - the boss or the person in charge.

• Pros:Plenty of opportunities to fix things.
  • Cons:Do not travel to Lagos if you do not know anyone there!
  • In a nutshell:It is a Love and Hate relationship!
  • Last visit to Lagos: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 1, 2005

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2005 at 1:41 AM

Thanks for providing insight into Nigerian e-mail scams. What's a nice Chinese girl like you doing in Lagos, Nigeria? Happy Birthday out of Africa!

ychia76