"The world as I know it" tomerik's Profile
On this page you will soon find more or less usefull info about the places I have been to.
I hope to visit Russia and the US soon.
Norway is famous for Ibsen, Grieg, Solskjaer (the football player) and the boyband A-ha in the 1980s.
The people in Norway are very friendly and welcomes tourists with open arms. Still the country is really something on it's own. We are have the highest petrol and gaz prices in the world even if we are the 2nd largest export country in the world of oil and gaz.
The prices of alcohol, cigarettes, hotels and consumer goods are ridiculously high here but still the norwegians continue to accept it. So as a tourist don't expect to survive long on a tiny budget here.
The only alcohol supermarkets are allowed to sell is beer and ciders. For stronger drinks you must visit the Vinmonopolet (special state run shops). Be aware that they close early (around 3 o'clock in the afternoon on Saturdays). Also beer is not allowed to be sold after 6 o'clock in the afternoon in shops even if they do not close until late. The beer is "covered" in all supermarkets after that time.
When it comes tourism, transportation, hotel standards etc. things here are very well organized. Transportation and hotel standards are, I will say, above European standards, but again very expensive.
In terms of natural beauty Norway is frankly an incredible country offering breathtaking fjords, cliffs, mountains from the north to the south. The southern part along the coast is the most beautiful and is where most Norwegians go to.
We also have the midnight sun in the summer and the northern lights during the winter.
Above the Polar cercle there is no sun from beginning of December until beginning of February so don't come here expecting to work on your tan. In the summer it's the opposite. The sun can be seen 24 hours a day (from June until beginning of August).
Bergen is Norways second largest city with approx. 250 000 inhabitants.
The harbour and the fishmarket is among Bergens most attractive tourist destinations.
Yes, we have winter in Norway.
Still it seems it gets shorter every year.
Bring some warm clothes and some warm shoes. In the north winter starts around october and lasts until end of april.
In the south there is winter from mid november until march. The cities along the coast has little snow and mild winters. In the middle of the country it is the opposite.
Temperatures vary from 15-30°C during summer and -10-0°C in the winter.
This picture is taken 200 meters from where I used to live.
The pittoresque canal divides the old island in the small city of Horten in the south of Norway who was the base for the marines for a long time. Now it has a beach, parc and is developping into a residential area.
Visited (countries only, year of last visit, airport stopovers/transits not counted):
2006 Czech Republic
2008 Hungary (end of July)
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 78 Reviews
- 169 Photos
- 8 Countries
- 12 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
updated their Profile Page "The world as I know it"
- tomerik and sprdak11 are now friends.
- updated a Budapest Travel Page "Budapest, Paris of Eastern Europe"
- Wrote a Review The Buda Castle about Buda Castle - Budavar in Budapest Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Buda Castle"
- Commented on Anjutka's profile page
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 15 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Milan Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hurghada Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Marmaris Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos
- Lyon Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Cologne Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Oslo Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Frankfurt am Main Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Horten Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22165 Reviews - 53882 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15523 Reviews - 30894 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23062 Reviews - 47262 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26475 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1928 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8346 Reviews - 17012 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1909 Reviews - 4464 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4278 Reviews - 8803 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7633 Reviews - 19478 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos