"The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust" Nairobi National Park by luddinra

Nairobi National Park Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 23 photos

The Best Evening of My Life!!!

When we started our safari adventure on Sept. 21, 2005, we got to Nairobi first. I was dying to visit the Elephant Orphanage in the Nairobi National Park. We were doing a group tour but we had some time to ourselves so we made some phone calls from our hotel at Safari Park Hotel and they said that since I was a foster parent, I could come by at 5 pm, for one hour! I was so excited! We took a taxi and the driver, Martin, waited for us for the whole hour too. It cost us about 80 dollars in fare but it was worth it. Only a handful of other people were there, there was a light breeze, and baby rhinos and elephants everywhere! General public can come by between 11 and 12 to watch them feed and play.

Angela Sheldrick is the daughter of the late David Sheldrick and Daphne Sheldrick, who is the one who came up with the formula to keep baby elephant orphans alive, along with specific husbandry techniques. I was taken by how generous Angela was with her time to us and how beautiful she was, in such unforgiving surroundings. She's also very talented, and when you become a foster parent, she will send you her wonderful elephant watercolors along with monthly emails.

Please sponser a rhino or elephant!

The Elephant Orphanage not only takes care of orphaned elephants. This project helps orphaned rhinos, as well as all African wildlife throughout Africa with an anti-snaring team and a mobile vet clinic. The project has helped tens of thousands of animals every year, throughout Africa. The orphans are gradually reintroduced back into the wild and the anti-snare project and vet clinic has saved thousands of animals of gruelingly painful deaths, in large part due to poaching of bushmeat. DON"T EAT BUSHMEAT LIKE giraffe, zebra, springbok, ect...!!!!!!!!

• Pros:There is not another project like this in the world!!!
  • Cons:They won't let foreigners work or volunteer there due to government standards
  • In a nutshell:Beautiful, captivating, you must go!
  • Last visit to Nairobi National Park: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 14, 2005

• ocicat's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2006 at 4:45 PM

Thanks so much for emailing me about fostering a baby! I'm now the proud foster mama of Zurura. I am looking forward to seeing him in October and I will call ahead as you suggested!

luddinra

“We conserve only what we love, we love only what we understand, we understand only what we are taught.”

Badges & Stats in Nairobi National Park

Have you been to Nairobi National Park?

Friends