"The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust" Nairobi National Park by luddinra
Nairobi National Park Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 23 photos
When we started our safari adventure on Sept. 21, 2005, we got to Nairobi first. I was dying to visit the Elephant Orphanage in the Nairobi National Park. We were doing a group tour but we had some time to ourselves so we made some phone calls from our hotel at Safari Park Hotel and they said that since I was a foster parent, I could come by at 5 pm, for one hour! I was so excited! We took a taxi and the driver, Martin, waited for us for the whole hour too. It cost us about 80 dollars in fare but it was worth it. Only a handful of other people were there, there was a light breeze, and baby rhinos and elephants everywhere! General public can come by between 11 and 12 to watch them feed and play.
Angela Sheldrick is the daughter of the late David Sheldrick and Daphne Sheldrick, who is the one who came up with the formula to keep baby elephant orphans alive, along with specific husbandry techniques. I was taken by how generous Angela was with her time to us and how beautiful she was, in such unforgiving surroundings. She's also very talented, and when you become a foster parent, she will send you her wonderful elephant watercolors along with monthly emails.
The Elephant Orphanage not only takes care of orphaned elephants. This project helps orphaned rhinos, as well as all African wildlife throughout Africa with an anti-snaring team and a mobile vet clinic. The project has helped tens of thousands of animals every year, throughout Africa. The orphans are gradually reintroduced back into the wild and the anti-snare project and vet clinic has saved thousands of animals of gruelingly painful deaths, in large part due to poaching of bushmeat. DON"T EAT BUSHMEAT LIKE giraffe, zebra, springbok, ect...!!!!!!!!
- Pros:There is not another project like this in the world!!!
- Cons:They won't let foreigners work or volunteer there due to government standards
- In a nutshell:Beautiful, captivating, you must go!
luddinra's Related Pages
Nairobi National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "wildlife just next to the Kenyan capital"
- "The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust"
- "Nairobi National Park"
- "HOME TO BIG FIVE"
- "Nairobi national park-safari just outside the City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nairobi National Park
- Transportation in Nairobi National Park
- Restaurants in Nairobi National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Nairobi National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Nairobi National Park
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Nairobi National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nairobi National Park
- Posted in Travel Kenya Forum "RE: Party Tours - has anyone had..."
- updated a Nairobi National Park Travel Page "The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust"
- Uploaded a Photo to "More of The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust"
- Wrote a Review More of The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust in Nairobi National Park Things to Do
Photos in Nairobi National ParkSee All Photos (8)
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samburu Game Reserve Intro, 5 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Kenya National Park Intro, 3 reviews, 18 photos
- Lake Nakuru National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Kenya Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos
- Nairobi Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos