"Bloomington, Home of the Mall of America" Bloomington by Tugboatguy
Bloomington Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 33 photos
Bloomington is the second municipality (after Richfield) south of Minneapolis, adjacent on the East to the Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport (MSP) and adjacent on the West to Minneapolis's upscale Western suburb, Edina. Bloomington is actually a city of over 86,500 people originally known nationally as the home of the Minnesota Twins professional baseball park and, in the Fall, the park was converted to serve the Minnesota Vikings professional football team. That site is now occupied by the Mall of America, America's largest indoor retail shopping mall with the 43 acre fully enclosed amusement park, Camp Snoopy, with five thrill rides, seven family rides and nine kiddie rides. Other attractions include Peanuts play zone, river racers, high speed flight simulation, kid and other lost and found. separate police force within, childcare for kids 6 weeks to 12 years, old time photography, petting zoo, 24 foot climbing wall, extreme trampoline and Great Lakes ballroom. The Mall has over 520 specialty stores and numerous restaurants, elevators, and enclosed parking with skyways. Handicapped access is provided. Mall is served by electric light rail from the airport and to Minneapolis downtown.
The Twins and the Vikings teams relocated to downtown Minneapolis to the new Target Stadium. The Mall of America is being considered for expansion with addition of new and different facilities, possibly concerts, but the developers' future plans are now vague, at best.
Bloomington is bordered on the North by Interstate highway 494 which, with Interstate Highway 694, loops Interstate 94 around the Twin Cities. There are seven lakes in Bloomington and the southern city border has Nine Mile Creek and the Minnesota River which flows into the mighty Mississippi River. The Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge is adjacent. A National Refuge Wildlife Interpretive Center is East of The Mall of America. Hiking trails abound in the wooded river valleys. Great bird watching areas prevail. A winter ski jump is found in Bush Lake Regional Park within Bloomington. There are several picnic grounds adjacent to lakes, 13 recreation parks and three golf courses that offer seasonal play in the city.
- Pros:Excellent location with many, many hotel accomodation facilities
- Cons:Poorly designed, dangerous freeway entrances and exits..
- In a nutshell:The Mall of America, light rail system and the adjacent airport are big pluses.
This very large Chinese restaurant just opposite the 494 Freeway from the la QUINTA Inn where I stayed is actually just... more travel advice
Tugboatguy's Related Pages
Bloomington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bloomington, Home of the Mall of America"
- "A Shopping Mecca!"
- "still driving across the country....."
- "Farseek - Bloomington"
- "It's has a mall also"
- "America's Largest Mall!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bloomington
- Hotels in Bloomington
- Transportation in Bloomington
- Restaurants in Bloomington
- Shopping in Bloomington
- Warnings and Dangers in Bloomington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bloomington
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Bloomington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bloomington
- Posted in Travel Hawaii (State of) Forum "Re: First time visiting - to..."
- updated a Bloomington Travel Page "Bloomington, Home of the Mall of America"
- Commented on one of Tugboatguy's Bloomington tips
- Wrote a Review Huge Selection-Try the Value Meals Choices in Bloomington Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "David Fong's"
Photos in BloomingtonSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Santa Paula Intro, 32 reviews, 148 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oshkosh Intro, 7 reviews, 93 photos, 8 travelogues
- Anchorage Intro, 10 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Minneapolis Intro, 5 reviews, 31 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dayton Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Bloomington Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos
- Warner Robins Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos
- Colorado Springs Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Fort Collins Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Albuquerque Intro, 1 review, 5 photos