Anchorage Transportation Tips by Tugboatguy
Anchorage Transportation: 46 reviews and 49 photos
Upon arrival by Alaska Airline flight I picked up a reserved unlimited miles rental car at the airport. Economy small cars are not normally provided by rental agencies here (probably due to road and weather conditions) so you will get an intermediate size car or larger. I used Alamo, with a discount from my Aircraft Owners and Pilot's Association membership which included 20% off the bill and one free day. So, rental averaged about $53/day for a Pontiac G6 four door. Expect a customer facility charge, a concession recoup fee, vehicle rental tax of 8% and state vehicle rental tax of 10%. I replenished the fuel used to a full tank before turning in the car. Fuel was about 12 cents more per gallon than southern California's fuel prices, using Shell credit card comparison.WARNING: Be sure to do a walk-around before leaving the rental car garage to confirm and agree on any existing damage, dings or windshield chips on the car you are renting. Most agencies have a form marked for this purpose.
I found it refreshing to see most of the commercial Yellow Taxicabs in Anchorage were all-wheel drive Subaru Outbacks. Strange to see a yellow colored one with taxicab light on top as I also drive a Subaru Outback and am very pleased with its all-weather performance. In winter snow and ice conditions prevalent in Alaska, an all-wheel drive vehicle should be dependable in getting through the conditions. I inquired of friends the cab fare from the airport to the Hotel Captain Cook downtown where they were staying-it was $20 for that ride.
Many of the private trucks I saw (common in Alaska) were four wheel drive or all-wheel drive models. Welcome traffic features were the courtesy and care uniformly shown by Alaskan drivers compared with the California drivers I am used to, and the timed traffic lights downtown making through travel on one-way streets expedient and easy. Never heard a horn honk all week in Anchorage!
Phone: 1-800-462-5266 for Alamo
Type: Car/Motor Home
More Reviews (9)
- See All Wonderful Ambience & Authentic Mexican...
- Red Salmon Spawning in Ship Creek
- Pack for the weather and season.
Tugboatguy's Related Pages
Anchorage Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not Alaska - But You Can See It From Here"
- "Alaskan Fun Starts Here"
- "Anchorage, Alaska: A Great City in The Great Land"
- "My 2 Alaskas"
- "Anchorage - Gateway to Wild Alaska"
- "frankcanfly's Anchorage Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Anchorage
- Hotels in Anchorage
- Transportation in Anchorage
- Nightlife in Anchorage
- Restaurants in Anchorage
- Shopping in Anchorage
- Warnings and Dangers in Anchorage
- See All...
Explore the World
- Tinos Hotels
- South Palm Beach Hotels
- Killyleagh Hotels
- Mijas Hotels
- Mortola Inferiore
- Delaware Transportation
- Saint Petersburg Transportation
- Ocean City Transportation
- Gruyères Transportation
- Vantaa Transportation
- Nizhniy Novgorod Transportation
- Ouro Prêto Transportation
- Brienz Transportation
- Forlì Transportation
- Simla Transportation
- Hoedspruit Transportation
- Isla de Gran Canaria Transportation
Badges & Stats in Anchorage
- 10 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Anchorage?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Anchorage
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Only in Minnesota"
- updated a Anchorage Travelogue "Ted E. Stevens International Airport-Anchorage"
- Uploaded a Photo to "ALASKA, America's Last Frontier"
- Commented on one of Sharrie's Anchorage travel pages
- Wrote a Review Wonderful Ambience & Authentic Mexican Food in Anchorage Restaurants
Photos in AnchorageSee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- Santa Paula Intro, 32 reviews, 149 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oshkosh Intro, 7 reviews, 93 photos, 8 travelogues
- Anchorage Intro, 10 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Minneapolis Intro, 5 reviews, 31 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dayton Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Bloomington Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos
- Warner Robins Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos
- Colorado Springs Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Fort Collins Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Albuquerque Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (32)
Latest Anchorage hotel reviews
- Extended Stay Deluxe Anchorage
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Coast International Inn
- 85 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 8, 2013
- Lake View Bed And Breakfast
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 5, 2007
- Puffin Inn
- 170 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Dukes 8th Avenue Hotel
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 9, 2013
- Microtel Inn And Suites Anchorage Airport
- 145 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 18, 2013
- DEFUNCT Anchorage Mahogany Manor
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 26, 2007
- Econo Lodge Airport Anchorage
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2012
- Inlet Tower Hotel And Suites
- 264 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Copper Whale Inn
- 147 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Anchorage
- 186 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- Merrill Field Inn Anchorage
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 7, 2013
- Long House Alaskan Hotel
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 20, 2013
- SpringHill Suites Anchorage University Lake
- 190 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013