"A Mile of Highway Will Get You Just One Mile..." Tugboatguy's Profile

"Flight is Right!"

A mile of highway will get you just one mile...A mile of runway will get you anywhere! So, come fly with me, come fly, come fly away! What is more free than the power of flight? A magic flying carpet-a dream realized. The ability to literally get above it all, and away from worldly cares. Be awed by the perspective of altitude, and looking down on our world from afar. Flight is empowering. Flight is exhilarating. Flight is the realization of Man's dream to emulate the birds. Learn to fly-you will never regret it, and the accomplishment is almost overwhelming. You can do it, if you want it enough. I dreamed of it, I wanted it, I did it, and 48 years ago (11 July 1966) I passed my flight test check ride with the then Federal Aviation Agency, now called the Federal Aviation Administration. A lifelong pride awaits you with the accomplishment of personal flight! I'm standing outside the Wright Brothers Museum near Dayton, Ohio at Dayton-Wright Brothers Airport. A couple of earlier pilots are looking me over!

I have returned from a Minneapolis trip and edited my page. Have a look at beautiful Minnehaha Falls!.

I have new Bloomington tips and edited my Bloomington page.

Riding High in the Magic of the Sky!

Here I am in echelon formation flight with another identical Nanchang China CJ-6A Chinese trainer. A popular trainer with warbird pilots, there are about 200 registered CJ-6As in America. This aircraft has been in continuous production for 55+ years in China, since 1958. Formation flying requires special training for safety of flight. The lower, following airplane pilot never takes his or her eyes off the leader plane, coordinating changes in flight via radio transmissions from the flight leader with a countdown command when ANY change is to be undertaken, in climbing, in turns to a new heading or in descents. These aircraft have tandem seats with dual controls. The green airplane with the red star and bar in is the original Chinese livery. I am in its back seat attending to the photography.

Private General Aviation aircraft are probably the ultimate personal transportation, be they antique or classics or personal jets. Many GA aircraft can be rented from fixed base operators with qualified pilot to take you where you want to go, when you want to go & into far more world airports than are served by the scheduled airlines.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

{{ I have Added a THANKSGIVING Greeting!!, also edited for greater legibility & changed some pictures in my beach, neighborhood & aviation albums. There is an important timely addition to my Santa Paula Travel Page, Santa Paula Travelogues. In one Travelogue, I discuss my copyright of most of my aircraft pictures, & reference an aircraft picture, articles & forum website.}}

~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~d(^_^)b\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~

Thank you for looking at the Tugboatguy Home Page, my Albums, Travelogues & Travel Pages. I appreciate your visit. If anything has informed, enlightened, astounded, amused or confused you, please leave a comment so that I can thank you properly for your comments & ratings on my pages. I've now got a
MUSICAL tip: hint: it's a restaurant. See if you can find & hear it.

***See my recent Wunderground Weather Forecast Travelogue for trip-planning weather to be expected anywhere in the World!***

M/V 'SEEKER'

It is with sadness yet exhilaration that I must report that I sold my beloved Tugboat SEEKER with dinghy FINDER on 16 June 2011 to the first inquirer. I had the boat custom built in Taiwan in 1988, and selling it was almost like selling a child. But, life moves on and I am now (since 26 June 2011) married again to a wonderful woman. And so, life continues, life is great and life is rewarding! It is the end of one era after having boats in the harbor since 1967, but the beginning of a new era of re-wedded bliss. I had been a widower just too long.

Arriving to be Awarded Commander's Cup

SEEKER won this award several times annually for "Most Bristol Boat" in our local Ventura Power Squadron. I finally removed the boat from competition to give other squadron members a chance to win the award. Seeker also won First Place in Division in the Channel Islands Harbor annual Christmas Parade of Lights in 1999 "Memories of the Millennium."

Serenity on 'SEEKER' at Sea.

'SEEKER's CREDO'

'The World is a Book, Every Passage a Page. But the Seeking is more Rewarding than the Finding, And the Voyage Dearer than the Port'

Golden Rules for Living

1. If you open it, close it.
2. If you turn it on, turn it off.
3. If you unlock it, lock it up.
4. If you break it, admit it.
5. If you can't fix it, call in someone who can.
6. If you borrow it, return it.
7, If you value it, take care of it.
8. If you make a mess, clean it up.
9. If you move it, put it back.
10. If it belongs to someone else, get permission to use it.
11. If you don't know how to operate it, leave it alone.
12. If it's none of your business, don't ask questions.
13. If you want it, go for it legally.
14. If you love it, show that you do.
15. If it loves you in return, cherish it and keep it.

LATEST WEATHER REPORT, What's Your Weather Like?
~\~So that you Know, before you Go- For your current weather and 5-day forecast ANYWHERE in the world, open Wunderground and enter your place. (This also first brings up the weather in my place, lol) Set your preferences, including language, time zone, units and more. Wunderground's page also has a direct link back to VT. Virtual Tourist is a sponsor of Wunderground! Can you find it? Enjoy!~/~

~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~

• Intro Updated Nov 15, 2014

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:59 PM

Thank you Pam, for thinking of me and that great airshow link. I've had some flight mission time in TBM Avengers cited there, a looong time ago. Great memories!

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2015 at 2:59 PM

As I write, this airshow is taking place here in NZ, just wish I was there. Check out the photo of the 8+1 Fokker triplanes all in formation!! facebook.com/classicfighters...

• kahnjetta's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2015 at 12:07 PM

Happy Birthday Doug!

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2015 at 6:10 AM

Doug, Happy Birthday. PJ

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Uh oh just found out the parade is Dec 13 and that is Paul's work party. No can do the parade :-( Got to smile and nod at a lot of college profs, administrators and the like.

Oct 27, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Hi Kat, I agree and have sent a lengthy affirmative reply with directions to Larry re other restaurant possibilities nearby off the harbor, as the congestion, harbor restaurant waterside table advance reservation costs that night and the harbor high bridge closure complicates things. We offer off-street parking at our beach house and just short walk to the harbor one block after eating and would like to give possible restaurant ideas to you in person. Lil and I can contact you via your neighbor mutual friends? or vice-versa? The event is first or second Saturday night in December commencing 7 pm. Seeker won First in class in the 1999 parade "Memories of the Millenium" theme. We propose meeting about 5:15-:30 that late afternoon to eat.

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Gosh Doug I hadn't thought about all of that. haha For 11 years I walked across the street and stood in the crowd, watch Santa fly by and then the parade and then walked backed home. Yes I agree eating early is best. I would like to offer a non harbor restaurant in Oxnard "Little Tonys" a throw back to the 1960's tacky decor but outstanding food (if you like Italian) but wait, the bridge closure I guess we could go through the back way but it is always a mess/ I am writing you a private message with contact info. Maybe eating a bit earlier and getting over the bridge before it is closed?

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Hi Doug I was thinking about the Channel Islands Boat parade for a VT get together. What do you think? I have no idea what day it is on but I can find out. Larry would like to plan something to do, so let me know. Kat

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Hey big guy. Still thinkjng if our mini-meet. You have a lovely wife and we should meet again for old times sake. lol Regards, Larry. :-)

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Aloha Doug. Thanks for sharing a photo of the VT mini-meet we had. Although never meeting in person, it seemed like old times with you and fellow VTER Kat, a warm soul, along with our precious wives, Sue and Lille. A hui huo. Aloha. L

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Kat, It is set as the lead page of 10. Try refreshing your screen and you are not going blind!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Tugboatguy's Profile Photo

Tugboatguy

“"1 if by Land, 2 if by Sea, But 3 if by Air!"...d(^_^)b”

Real Name