"Be green or see the world..." cup0joe's Profile

Okay I'm not some crazy tree hugger...maybe I should be?

I don't know if you're like me, but I 'm struggling with the environmental impact of traveling. I'm thrilled that you can donate a forest to offset carbon emission. But this is just a band-aid. (ha, plaster here in the UK)

I believe it's important for us as a society to travel, see other cultures and understand that there are many other ways of living life. You might have been born and realized with a certain religions ideas and societies pressures of material possessions. When you have the opportunity to visit other cultures you realize there is more to life then what you are handed everyday via mass media.

My next career I think I'd like to be a cultural anthropologist. It's amazing to learn why certain cultures do what they do. To the outsider they may seem nuts, but it's often a matter of maintaining life. That eating certain foods are important because of the climate you live in. That plants and herbs that we would never dream of using can cure things that corporations spend billions on to discover.

We have so much to learn...and so far to go.

Some ways I'm trying to improve and evolve...
My best advice is always use public transport. You'll find it's a challenge in some cities, but in the end, you'll save money and get to experience a place like the locals. Of all my travels thus far I've been extremely impressed with the public transportation around Europe (Hungary, Italy, Thailand, Sweden, France, Germany-perfect transport, and of course the UK, which has it's moments). Having grown up in the US where "car is king" and public transportation outside any major metropolitan area is an abomination it's a real pleasure to know that I can get almost anywhere via public transport.

If you have questions about using transport in any of the cities I've posted I'd be happy to send you links I have or give you my best "How To".

Donate a forest for those miles!

Volunteer your time.
Currently looking for a volunteer position in London. Actually harder than you think. There is a real and impressive belief to volunteer here, your credentials are a very important factor in applying to an organization. In the US, volunteers are in short supply, but always more than welcome.

I'd love to hear from other VT's with their suggestions and any great recommendations for green holidays.

Happy Holidays to All!

• Intro Updated Dec 5, 2005

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!