"A small town on the Banks of the Shannon" Banagher by fishandchips
Banagher Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 1 photos
We stopped in here on the way through to visit a friend's sister. A fantastic night of Guiness and Steak chatting with the locals.
We were actually staying at The Gables B&B in Cloghan where, upon arrival, the owner had baked us an apple pie to have with a cup of tea as a welcome. Just fantastic!! In hindsight we probably didn't need to have our Cloghan B&B as we had several offers to stay with locals !!
Banagher is a beautiful town on the River Shannon in South Offaly. It is on the R439 road 14kms from Birr. It is apparently known for the defensive importance of its location on the Shannon reflected in the 17th century fortification, bridgehead and batteries which still command the river crossing.
Near here is the ancient monastery of Clonmacnoise located 22kms up the river.
- Pros:The people, the people, the people.
- Cons:The morning after the late night
- In a nutshell:An idyllic spot to meet & greet the Irish.
fishandchips' Related Pages
Banagher Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Banagher
- 1 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Banagher?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banagher
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 107 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 55 reviews, 81 photos
- London Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Paris Intro, 40 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 44 reviews, 46 photos
- Auckland Intro, 27 reviews, 45 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Rome Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos