"The Eternal City" Rome by fishandchips
Rome Travel Guide: 12,236 reviews and 27,423 photos
Rome and its seven hills is one of the most fascinating places in the world to visit. After Romulas and Rhemus had a bit of a falling out and a fight for the city (after being succled by a she-wolf) Romulas came out on top a the city was given his name. The birthplace of one of the greatest ever empires and home to a huge number of highly fashionable motor scooter riders Rome just never sleeps. It may come as a surprise to many it wasn't until 1861 that Rome was declared the capital of the newly established Kingdom of Italy. The Vatican still remains its own city state.
Rome has the Vatican city in its heart in more ways than one. The Vatican city encompases St Peters, the largest church in the world and the Vatican museum with buildings and a fabulous square. The current Pope Benedict is the first German pope in a few years and looks set to continue a more hardline Roman Catholic view. When Benny is in Rome, he gives a public audience every Wednesday beginning at 10:30am (sometimes at 10am in summer). It takes place in the Paul VI Hall of Audiences, although sometimes St. Peter's Basilica and St. Peter's Square are used to accommodate a large attendance.
At noon on Sunday, the pope speaks briefly from his study window and gives his blessing to the visitors and pilgrims gathered in St. Peter's Square.
Rome is full of the old and the new with Roman ruins sharing the land with new buildings and modern inventions. No matter what, it looks like it will always be very, very popular with the visitor. With so many things to do in a city that never appears to sleep, Rome should be near the top of every travellors list. One very interesting thing about Rome is what is under the city as Rome is, in theory, built on top of the old Rome. There are many access points to get into an underground Rome - really worth the effort!!!
- Pros:Art, History, Food
- Cons:Crossing the road - watch out for those scooters!!
- In a nutshell:The Eternal city
As you can see in the photo, I opted for an ugly green suitcase. This may appear to be a bad call initially until you... more travel advice
I love the seemingly unlimited amount of art to be seen in Rome, especially that found at the Vatican museum and within... more travel advice
fishandchips' Related Pages
Rome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "R O M E"
- "TO THE SOURCES OF MY CULTURE AND HISTORY."
- "Roma - Città Eterna"
- "Roma, una citta stupenda"
- "Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner"
- "Awestruck in Rome"
- "weekends in Rome"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rome
- Hotels in Rome
- Transportation in Rome
- Nightlife in Rome
- Restaurants in Rome
- Shopping in Rome
- Warnings and Dangers in Rome
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rome
- 31 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rome
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 107 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 55 reviews, 81 photos
- London Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Paris Intro, 40 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 44 reviews, 46 photos
- Auckland Intro, 27 reviews, 45 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Rome Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos