"Cromwell" Cromwell by fishandchips
Cromwell Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 53 photos
Cromwell is another old town in Central Otago that owes much of its history to the goldrush days. It sits beside the man made lake Dunstan - a result of the Clyde Dam
When I first came through here in the mid 1980's the view of the Clutha river meeting the Kawerau was fantastic - a major clash of two bodies of water.
With the building of the Clyde Dam the old buildings would be under water if not moved - and that's what happened. The whole of the old town was moved to higher ground to protect the towns heritage. Well worth it from my perspective.
fishandchips' Related Pages
Cromwell Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cromwell - A perfect place for a stopover"
- "Cromwell - Central Otago"
- "A must stop for dried fruit fanatics"
- "Cromwell, NZ's newest old town"
- "From the Gold Pan to the Fruit Bowl"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cromwell
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Cromwell?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cromwell
Photos in CromwellSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 107 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 55 reviews, 81 photos
- London Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Paris Intro, 40 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 44 reviews, 46 photos
- Auckland Intro, 27 reviews, 45 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Rome Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos