"Port Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Lyttelton by fishandchips
Lyttelton Travel Guide: 116 reviews and 320 photos
Lyttelton is the major port of the South Island of NZ and is the spot where many early settlers arrived before attempting the Bridle Path and new town of Christchurch. Captain Joseph Thomas cut the Bridle Path track in 1850 in preparation for the first load of settlers in December 1850. Although barely negotiable, the Bridle Path track became the main route over the Port Hills. Settlers had to carry their possessions on their backs until 1851 when the track was made passable for horses. At the base of the Bridle Path track in Heathcote Valley, a rough road extended to the mouth of the Heathcote River where ferry services got the settlers and their luggage across the Heathcote River at Ferrymead. The settlers then continued on their journey to Christchurch via Ferry Road.
Lyttelton has many historical icons including the Timeball station, old Lyttelton Gaol remains, the Signal Box and some wonderful old houses dating back to the 19th centuary.
Many of the roads and walls around Lyttelton were built by the residents of the Lyttelton Gaol. Apparently the convicts were roped together and went off to the different locations to do their hard labour. Probably most notable, and noticeable, is the Timeball station - built between 1875 & 76 by convicts (with a bit of help from the architect......)
The Gaol, incidently, is nothing more than a few steps and a rose garden within the surrounds of Lyttelton Main primary school.
Lyttelton is full of art and artists and has undergone a bit of a resurgence in the last 5 years as it has become a more popular place to live. Bars such as the Wunderbar and the British have been the mainstay of the town with the Habourlight Theatre providing a great location for a work-do.
Lyttelton was the location of the 1996 Peter Jackson film 'The Frighteners'. This was his 5th movie and set just over the hill from his 4th movie - Heavenly Creatures. Several street scenes (including Jackson as a 'man with piercings') were done in London St (the main st) and up Canterbury St for some of the funeral processions. One of the Cemetery's also features. It's probably the only time you will see cars driving on the wrong side of the road (for NZ) but as it was supposed to be a small town in the USA quite understandable from a reality perspective.
- Pros:Sea Air (no smog), beautiful views
- In a nutshell:Historical port town that is now a quiet art town
Lyttelton has many places to see. A look at the map will detail where all of the important bits are to be found. On the... more travel advice
The Harbourlight is typical of what makes Lyttelton an interesting place. It is an intimate theatre with a constantly... more travel advice
fishandchips' Related Pages
Lyttelton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "New beginnings in the epicentre"
- "Port Town"
- "In the Mouth of the Volcano"
- "Lyttleton, South Island"
- "Lyttleton by the harbour"
- "LYTTELTON HARBOUR"
- "Lyttleton Harbor"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lyttelton
- Hotels in Lyttelton
- Transportation in Lyttelton
- Nightlife in Lyttelton
- Restaurants in Lyttelton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lyttelton
- 12 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Lyttelton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lyttelton
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 107 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 55 reviews, 81 photos
- London Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Paris Intro, 40 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 44 reviews, 46 photos
- Auckland Intro, 27 reviews, 45 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Rome Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos