"A crossroads for Ferry Travellers" Top 5 Page for this destination Picton by fishandchips
Picton Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 188 photos
Picton is a small town that never really got going. It has its main street with various shops and cafes, the Interisland Ferry terminal and access to many walking tracks around Queen Charlotte Sound. Picton is an ideal homebase for the Marlborough region including Nelson, the Sounds, Blenheim and the fabulous wines of the area. Picton has a nice Golf Course (9 hole) at Koromiko which is also where the small Airport is located. You are also close to Havelock and its good fishing.
The place has been in slow decline for several years and currently is in need of a bit of a re-birth!!
Queen Charlotte Sound has a very good walking track and there are a number of companies that do boat trips to the start of many places on the track. It's a good way to do a walk and get a bit of a cruise around the Sounds at the same time. Around Picton itself are a number of good tracks - Tirohanga Track and Snout Track are the two to choose from with the Tirohanga going up into Esson's Valley and finishing at a couple of different Dams - Barnes & Humphries. The view over Picton from Hilltop is very nice.
The mainstay of the Picton economy is on the Ferry. Be it Freight or passengers, much of Pictons cashflow results from people & produce moving between Islands. The trip takes just on 3 hours if you feel inclined to do so.
- Pros:Small, friendly and close to many things
- Cons:Not the most impressive welcome to the South Island
- In a nutshell:A great place to relax
Running along the side of the Snout is the Picton - Waikawa Bay track. It's an easy walk and has stunning views over the... more travel advice
There are several options around Picton for the MTB enthusiast. A few tracks on the Snout are either shared or MTB only... more travel advice
fishandchips' Related Pages
Picton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A crossroads for Ferry Travellers"
- "Pretty Picton"
- "Picton, gateway to the South Island of New Zealand"
- "Ferry Interesting"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Picton
- Hotels in Picton
- Transportation in Picton
- Restaurants in Picton
- Warnings and Dangers in Picton
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Picton
- 22 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Picton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Picton
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 106 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 55 reviews, 81 photos
- London Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Paris Intro, 40 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 44 reviews, 46 photos
- Auckland Intro, 27 reviews, 45 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Rome Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
Latest Picton hotel reviews
- Picton Lodge Backpackers
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Yacht Club Hotel Picton
- 243 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 5, 2013
- Escape to Picton Boutique Hotel
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 26, 2013
- Lochmara Lodge - Wildlife Recovery and Arts Centre
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 4, 2013
- The Villa Backpackers Lodge
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 5, 2013
- Tourist Court Motels
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 21, 2013