"Arusha" Top 5 Page for this destination Arusha by fishandchips
Arusha Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 106 photos
Arusha is in northern Tanzania and surrounded by some of Africa's most famous landsmarks in the Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, Lake Manyara, Olduvai Gorge, Tarangire National Park, Mount Kilimanjaro and Mount Meru.
The town is on the lower slopes of Mount Meru and is approx 1400M above sea level. This makes the climate temperate even though it's right on the Equater.
Arusha has its base in selling tours for both Safaris and climbs of Mt's Meru and Kilimanjaro. The town's clock tower is supposed to be situated at the midpoint between Cairo and Cape Town (the actual midpoint lies in central Congo).
Tanzania's documents setting out its independance were signed by the United Kingdom at Arusha in 1961. The Arusha Declarations for Self Reliance in Tanzania were signed in 1967 in Arusha.
The Arusha Accords were signed at Arusha on August 4, 1993, by representatives of competing factions in the Rwandan civil war. A year later, in 1994, the UN security council decided that Arusha should host the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda.
Arusha officially became a city on 1 July 2006
For current events check out the Arusha Times website.
The School of St Jude provides free education to children from the poorest families. It was started by an Australian who fell in love with the place (and her tour guide) and is a centre of excellence in a very poor area.
Arusha is also Tanzania's rugby home with the national team playing its international matches there.
The region around Arusha is the sole source of a gem-quality mineral called Tanzanite and currently produced in large quantities by corporate mining concerns. You can buy carved Tanzanite animals, amongst other things, at local craft stores.
St Jude is the patron saint of hopeless causes and that's the source of the schools pupils. The School of St Jude is... more travel advice
The Impala Hotel runs the very popular Impala Shuttle service between Nairobi, Arusha and Moshi. This service is most... more travel advice
fishandchips' Related Pages
Arusha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Preparing for the long-awaited safaris!!!"
- "A fantastic experience in Tanzania"
- "Half way between Cairo and Cape Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arusha
- Hotels in Arusha
- Transportation in Arusha
- Restaurants in Arusha
- Shopping in Arusha
- Warnings and Dangers in Arusha
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arusha
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Arusha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arusha
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 107 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 55 reviews, 81 photos
- London Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Paris Intro, 40 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 44 reviews, 46 photos
- Auckland Intro, 27 reviews, 45 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Rome Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos