Serengeti National Park Things to Do Tips by fishandchips Top 5 Page for this destination
Serengeti National Park Things to Do: 87 reviews and 135 photos
The Maasai is an African tribe whose area historically covers all of the Serengeti, Maasai Mara and surrounds. It's a huge are that has been somewhat limited by the introduction of laws not allowing then to be in the Seregeti wildlife area. You can see villages dotted all over the area with there basic fence and huts set up in a circle.
For a fee there are many tour companies who will take you to a village for a look at how the locals live including a traditional dance or two and a tour inside a hut. Very basic living conditions for these very proud people though they seem happy enough.
One of the traditional dances is the jumping dance of the men. This is apperently part of attracting a mate though most marriages are organised by the parents with cows trading hands as payment, so to speak, for a Maasai girl. The women do something less energetic which includes rather alot of body swaying.
Located in the middle of the Serengeti is the Wildlfe Centre. It has an interesting walk on a board-walk around several displays. You follow the foot steps of a Wildebeest who is one of the central displays at the start.
Everything from metal lions to the sounds of the wild as you walk past keep you informed an entertained. At the end of the walk is a small shop with cold drinks and a few trinkets to buy.
Early in the day
Obviously this is the reason that you are here! To see the wide variety of animals doing their daily chores centred on surviving. As the days get rather hot, the carnivores are out hunting early in the day and in the early evening. A typical game drive day will start at 5.30am for breakfast followed by an early departure at around 6.30am. You should see quite a bit of action at this this time then a lot less goings on as the heat of the day takes over. Many of the animals will be looking for some shade and a place to have a quiet snooze while keeping an eye out for anything dangerous to their health. In the early evening it will start all over again! Depending on your tour company you will probably have a few spare hours in the middle of the day to do your washing or what ever else needs doing.
All over the Serengeti are the remnants of Elephants at play. Being so very large they can smash up things rather quickly! An example of this are the squished trees you see littered around the park. I'm not sure how the Elephants get the trees into this state - maybe they push them over first - but with bottoms as big as theirs the trees don't stand much of a chance.
Up up and away........
This is a very expensive way to see the Serengeti but apparently well worth it. Other on my trip did this activity in the Maasai Mara and they raved above the experience. For $US500 it's a very expensive way to see the animals though you do get breakfast with bubbles (though not the real french stuff) out in the Serengeti so something to tell the grandkids about LOL.
More Reviews (12)
fishandchips' Related Pages
Serengeti National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Serengeti"
- "Serengeti: I thought it only existed on TV"
- "The Serengeti - Endless Plains"
- "A childhood dream"
- "Serengeti - wide land"
- "From Arusha to the Serengeti"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Serengeti National Park
- Hotels in Serengeti National Park
- Transportation in Serengeti National Park
- Nightlife in Serengeti National Park
- Restaurants in Serengeti National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Serengeti National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Serengeti National Park
- 17 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Serengeti National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Serengeti National Park
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 106 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 55 reviews, 81 photos
- London Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Paris Intro, 40 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 44 reviews, 46 photos
- Auckland Intro, 27 reviews, 45 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Rome Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
Latest Serengeti National Park hotel reviews
- Serengeti Serena Safari Lodge
- 239 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013