"The Serengeti" Top 5 Page for this destination Serengeti National Park by fishandchips
Serengeti National Park Travel Guide: 139 reviews and 497 photos
The Serengeti is one of Africa's best and most famous animal sanctuaries with much to see. For many years I watched TV programmes showing the life of various animals though I never had a big desire to go. When everything came together for me to climb Kilimanjaro I took the opportunity to do a Safari and included the Serengeti.
The Serengeti region is huge (approx 13,000 square km) and encompasses the Serengeti National Park, Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Maswa Game Reserve, the Loliondo, Grumeti and Ikorongo Controlled Areas and the Maasai Mara National Reserve in Kenya. It's no wonder the Maasai call this place Siringitu or "the place where the land moves on forever"!!
Reportedly over 90,000 tourists visit the Park every year bringing in an ever increasing part of Tanzania's income in what is an extremely poor country.
The Serengeti National park is a large area and is attached to the Ngorongoro conservation area. In fact the direction we approached the Serengeti took our truck through the main gate of the Ngorongoro conservation area and past a fantastic view of the Crater as we drove toward the Serengeti.
According to the experts, early man made an appearance in Olduvai Gorge about two million years ago. There are several hominid bones to be seen at the museum at Olduvai (or Oldupai to the Maasai). No mention if this was the original Garden of Eden!
It is the migration for which Serengeti is perhaps most famous and the most television has been made. Wildebeest and Zebras move in huge numbers flowing south from the northern hills to the southern plains for the short rains every October and November then west and north after the long rains in April, May and June.
There are most of Tanzania's big 5 here (Lion, Buffalo, Rhino, Leopard & Elephant) with only the Rhino missing from the bunch. We saw upwards of 50 lions in a couple of days plus lots of Buffalo and Elephants, a couple of Leopards and heaps of Giraffe, Zebra and Gazelle.
The Maasai is an African tribe whose area historically covers all of the Serengeti, Maasai Mara and surrounds. It's a... more travel advice
Obviously this is the reason that you are here! To see the wide variety of animals doing their daily chores centred on... more travel advice
fishandchips' Related Pages
Serengeti National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Serengeti"
- "Serengeti: I thought it only existed on TV"
- "The Serengeti - Endless Plains"
- "A childhood dream"
- "Serengeti - wide land"
- "From Arusha to the Serengeti"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Serengeti National Park
- Hotels in Serengeti National Park
- Transportation in Serengeti National Park
- Nightlife in Serengeti National Park
- Restaurants in Serengeti National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Serengeti National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Serengeti National Park
- 17 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Serengeti National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Serengeti National Park
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 106 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 55 reviews, 81 photos
- London Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Paris Intro, 40 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 44 reviews, 46 photos
- Auckland Intro, 27 reviews, 45 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Rome Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
Latest Serengeti National Park hotel reviews
- Serengeti Serena Safari Lodge
- 239 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013